Low gas mileage?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Low gas mileage?

  1. #1
    Member Lefecious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    54

    Low gas mileage?

    Hi all,

    Just diminished my first tank of gas. I have the Clarke tank which I believe holds 2.8 gallons of gas. Now I didn't top it off, I only filled it until the pump automatically shut off, so I'm not sure how much of the tank that left empty. But let's say for arguments sake I only had 2.3 gallons of gas in the tank.

    I reset the trip odometer to zero, then I rode the bike sporadically, maybe once every 4-5 days. And then yesterday I ran out of gas and had to switch to reserve in order to get me to the gas station. But my trip odometer was only at 71 miles! I don't know how much gas is left at the point where you need to switch to reserve, but if it's half a gallon, then that means I burned 1.8 gallons in 71 miles for a total of 39 miles to the gallon.

    Does that seem low or is that normal under these conditions:

    1. I weigh 205 lbs
    2. 90% of those miles was on dirt roads and trails, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear
    3. I let the bike warm up for 3-5 minutes before riding.

    I'm trying to determine if I have a leak or am losing fuel due to evaporation, or if this is normal for guy my weight.


    on my 2nd fill-up I made sure to top off the tank completely, so now that I know it has 2.8 gallons maybe I'll get a more accurate measurement this time around.
    Ken likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nicoradv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North East Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefecious View Post
    Hi all,

    Just diminished my first tank of gas. I have the Clarke tank which I believe holds 2.8 gallons of gas. Now I didn't top it off, I only filled it until the pump automatically shut off, so I'm not sure how much of the tank that left empty. But let's say for arguments sake I only had 2.3 gallons of gas in the tank.

    I reset the trip odometer to zero, then I rode the bike sporadically, maybe once every 4-5 days. And then yesterday I ran out of gas and had to switch to reserve in order to get me to the gas station. But my trip odometer was only at 71 miles! I don't know how much gas is left at the point where you need to switch to reserve, but if it's half a gallon, then that means I burned 1.8 gallons in 71 miles for a total of 39 miles to the gallon.

    Does that seem low or is that normal under these conditions:

    1. I weigh 205 lbs
    2. 90% of those miles was on dirt roads and trails, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear
    3. I let the bike warm up for 3-5 minutes before riding.

    I'm trying to determine if I have a leak or am losing fuel due to evaporation, or if this is normal for guy my weight.


    on my 2nd fill-up I made sure to top off the tank completely, so now that I know it has 2.8 gallons maybe I'll get a more accurate measurement this time around.
    You really need to refill and make sure of how full it is.
    Having that nozzle down in there can really throw off what u think you have in there.

    Is the carb stock ?
    I deleted all the rest of the questions i had until you answer that one up there with more accurate MPG figures.
    Fill it up to a known level you can remember and fill it up that much next time. Like an inch from bottom of the filler.
    Both times.

    No that's not normal for your weight.
    I am going by another rider i know that weighs a tad over you.
    he gets +60 mpg highway on a travel loaded bike.

    If you had leak, you would know it.
    Evaporation no.
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 04-04-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Lefecious, Ken, admiral and 2 others like this.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

  3. #3
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vacationing in the Bahama's
    Posts
    17,573
    Is this bike new? If so, it will use much more gas until it is broken in...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Nicoradv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North East Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Is this bike new? If so, it will use much more gas until it is broken in...
    But that much ?

    Sure hope he comes back with a more accurate reading on MPG.
    littletommy likes this.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

  6. #5
    Senior Member Pete H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    107
    Anyone north of that weight riding one of these things on the road. Especially up around 60 mph is probably holding it wide open most of the time. That being said, at 250lbs with the stock tank, I seem to get 70 to 90 miles when mine hits reserve on the road. If your riding lots of trails all bets are off. It very much depends on gearing and how hard your pushing it, and in what gear. That being said, and you having the plastic tank i'd think you should get over 100 miles before hitting reserve, I'd keep a close eye on the tank to petcock connection, and carb overflow tube. These petcocks recommend them to be shut off between rides, and a speck of dust can be caught in the float needle causing it to slowly over-fill the float bowl. Gas evaporates so fast it might not be leaving any drip stains.
    littletommy and Elvesus like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Swingarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Houston Tx
    Posts
    135
    With a stock thank we get about 95 miles and are close to hitting reserve. That's mostly at 50 mph or so along with some dirt road 25 mph areas. If we used 1.5 gallons @ 95 miles that's 63 mpg. 200 pound rider 45 tooth rear sprocket.

    As mentioned, retest with a measured amount of fuel. If it's that far off read the plug. You may need to look for all the causes of a rich condition. If the bike starts easy and basically runs good you shouldn't have a compression/mechanical problem.
    littletommy and Nicoradv like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Dryden-Tdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dryden NY
    Posts
    6,343
    Since installing my Clarke tank I know my mileage has gone way down. I strongly suspect it is evaporation related. I do not have a fancy little cap at the end of my gas cap breather tube.......


    Tom
    littletommy likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

    Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

  9. #8
    Member Lefecious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Since installing my Clarke tank I know my mileage has gone way down. I strongly suspect it is evaporation related. I do not have a fancy little cap at the end of my gas cap breather tube.......


    Tom
    You bring up a good point. I do have an aftermarket cap that the prior owner installed and it has a tube sticking up out of it with some kind of cap on it. I don't really understand how the breathing tube works. Is it literally just an open tube to the outside air? If so, it would seem that evaporation would definitely happen. Or does it have some kind of one-way valve that let's pressure escape when it builds up, but stays closed the rest of the time? The last dirt bike I owned was from the 70s and I don't recall it having a breathing tube at all so I really don't get how they work or why they're even needed.


    edit: Just decided to google it and found a good explanation on breather hoses here: https://www.bikesmedia.in/reviews/ut...explained.html


    I will ride out the current tank and report back with my gas mileage. I'm confident that there's 2.8 gallons in there now because I topped it off. It might take me a week or two to get that much riding in though. I really don't have time during the week and it's supposed to rain this weekend so I may not ride then either.
    Last edited by Lefecious; 04-05-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

  10. #9
    Member SpeedyTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Jax, FL.
    Posts
    80
    Any updates?
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

  11. #10
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,123
    While you are at it check your spark plug. If it is black and wet then you are running way too rich and sending a lot of unburnt fuel out the pipe. You would know if it is leaking gas by parking it in the garage on top of a piece of cardboard box. Both the Clarke and the stock tanks are vented tanks so I think that rules out the loss from evaporation theory. With the stock tank and starting full to the top I always hit reserve between 70-90 miles depending on the riding I was doing. The reserve gave me around 20 miles to get fuel.

    GaryL
    SpeedyTide likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Low Mileage Bikes
    By Michael Bryce Winnick in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-17-2015, 09:16 PM
  3. ***SOLD***Listed my low mileage 2003 TW200 today in SoCal
    By Little Brute in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 02:25 PM
  4. TW GAS MILEAGE
    By Moose in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM
  5. 2003 low mileage for 1600.00
    By doefingers in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 12:12 AM

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.