Am I asking to much from the TW's electrical system
Close

Wet side of the mountains, Washington State
    Howdy All,

Winter is soon to be here, I ride all year around and have heated grips on all my bikes. I just last night with the help of a friend who knows his way around wires installed a set of Hot Grips, on my 2010 TW 200. The grips get warm on low and hot on high but when they are on the head light is not as bright as when they are turned off and it doesn't get any brighter when the engine is revved up. The bike only has 650 miles on it, I bought it a few months ago with 39.7 miles on, it was checked out by a local dealer so the extended warranty could be switched over to me so as far as I know everything is OK in the electrical system. So I guess my question is this, will the stock electrical system on a 2010 TW support running a set of heated grips and not run down the battery or ruin the electrical system? Thanks for any information you can share.
    ALL brand motorcycle lover and rider, long distance cross country rider, logging road and two track rider, year round sidecar rider. I have been told since young to grow up and act my age, I ain't doin it, I am too busy living my life even if it kills me. Visit my photo web site, ( Hidden Content )

Because of the electrical systems limited capabilities, you may want to switch your brake and signals to leds to offset the pull from the grips.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Welcome back Mr. Cob. Here is some info I found. Looks like you may need to change out your bulbs to led to free up some watts.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry12803
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Howdy PalmStateCrawler, goldenthr,

Thanks for the information and the link. Now I'll have to do some research on led bulbs. I have also been thinking of just putting a switch on the head light and turning it off for when I am riding off road, I did that on my DRZ and it sure helped with battery drain.
    ALL brand motorcycle lover and rider, long distance cross country rider, logging road and two track rider, year round sidecar rider. I have been told since young to grow up and act my age, I ain't doin it, I am too busy living my life even if it kills me. Visit my photo web site, ( Hidden Content )

If you did the handlebar cig lighter outlet mod, you could plug one of those portable voltmeters in. Or hardwire one to the bike. You would know in a sec if you were loosing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If you did the handlebar cig lighter outlet mod, you could plug one of those portable voltmeters in. Or hardwire one to the bike. You would know in a sec if you were loosing ground.

Howdy Rich,

Thanks, I did wire a cig lighter outlet in so I could use my small air compressor so it would be easy to use the plug in voltmeter you have shown. Thanks for the info.

09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

You could go with an hid headlight and gain 20watts. I ran a 24 watt heated vest on mine with no problems but i do have the 35watt hid headlight. I want to put a set of heated grips on mine but i would only run them on low. I run two 21 watt leds along with the 35 watt headlight at night and it holds 14+ volts even at idle. How many watts/amps do the grips pull at each setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    You could go with an hid headlight and gain 20watts. I ran a 24 watt heated vest on mine with no problems but i do have the 35watt hid headlight. I want to put a set of heated grips on mine but i would only run them on low. I run two 21 watt leds along with the 35 watt headlight at night and it holds 14+ volts even at idle. How many watts/amps do the grips pull at each setting?

Howdy Small's,

I am an electrical idiot, it probably said someplace on the instruction how much juice the grips pull but I don't remember what it was.

Sponosred Links