What Happened?
Close

Thread: What Happened?

On my way to work, about 2 miles from my house, the bike looses power and a loud ticking can be heard. Limped it back home as I had no one to call. Sounds like its coming from the top end. I'm thinking loose valve. If so how much damage can I expect? No smoke just a loud tapping.

Check the valves. It isn't hard to do and there is a tutorial on this site that makes it pretty clear. It is a bit worrisome that the noise cam on suddenly. That might point to something bigger than valve adjustments, but take it one step at a time.

I plan to start at the top and work my way down once i get home today. Just trying to get a game plan of what to check and how. Afterdong some research I found a couple of threads about the locknut backing off the valves and the tappet getting loose. Maybe thats what happened. I did adjust the valves about 200 miles ago. Maybe i didnt tighten it down enough. Hope there isnt any damage........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just thought of something...... was reading another thread and this popped to mind. After i started the bike, i rode maybe 100 yards with the choke on, then switched it off.....i wouldnt think this would harm it? Ill be checking in about 3 hrs what the problem was/is....i hope

SOLVED+++++++++++++

intake tappet and jam nut were gone. Found them over in the exhuast valve side. No damage to tappet or nut or rocker arm that can be seen. All threaded back in place with no problem. So now another question.......

in researching this issue i found several other threads about this same topic. Some mentione it was a known issue? If so should i use the blue loctite to secure the jam nut?

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Little bit of loctite solved it!
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post
    SOLVED+++++++++++++

intake tappet and jam nut were gone. Found them over in the exhuast valve side. No damage to tappet or nut or rocker arm that can be seen. All threaded back in place with no problem. So now another question.......

in researching this issue i found several other threads about this same topic. Some mentione it was a known issue? If so should i use the blue loctite to secure the jam nut?

You got lucky. I busted the head off the exhaust valve two days ago when breaking in my new Web cam. The valve adjuster, and lock nut must be down in the left side crankcase. I'm too mad at myself to mess with it for a while. It ran like it's butt was on fire for about 10 minutes. Then it started coughing and sputtering. I was lucky to get it home.

got mine back together and shes running great....so thanks again...

That's good news!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Sponosred Links