1987 TW200
Close

Thread: 1987 TW200

Hello all,

My name is Wesley I Live In Mississippi.

A friend of mine gave me a 1987 tw200. the bike is in bad bad shape lots of surface rust and nothing is in working fashion. i am a advid shade tree mechanic. i can take things apart fix them and put back together most of the time. i have a few questions for this forum if someone will try to help a newbie out.

first a little history on the bike which is not much. the bike has been sitting in tall grass outside in the elements for god only knows how long. like i said nothing is in working order, the thing does not even roll. but my purpose with the bike is to get it running and driving as a project, and to get on it to learn to ride a motor cycle.

my questions are

1) Are there parts readily avaible for that year and model? if so will you please direct me there?

2) are any parts interchangeable with any other year for that bike.

3) At the current time none of the lights or anything electrical works on the bike. what is the bare essentails to get the motor running?

4)is there a way to convert the front tire and back tire to disk brakes?

5) Untill i get it running and riding there is no need for a electric start so is there a kick start avaible?

6) is there any other advice anyone can offer me on this subject?

also would like to point out that a couple dollars ($1-$100) every little while is no problem but dont have thousands to sink into this project until i determin this is the bike i want to rebuild

thank you very much for any info and advice anyone of you can halp me with!

Thank you again!

Wesley

Welcome to The T-Dub Club!

Head on over to this thread and get the manuals.

You should find just about everything you need to know in those documents, get familiar with them, they will save you a ton of money, time and aggravation.

Next go to the Tech section of this forum and "Read" all of the pinned topics. (Don't just look at the pretty TW pictures, I know it's hard)

If you have specific questions start with a search on the forum, chances are it has been covered before.....usually over and over and over and over....well you get it. If you can't find what your looking for ask up! Someone here will point you in the right direction. There is a wealth of info on the board and inside the heads of the members and they enjoy sharing it. That is why we have such a great forum.

There are many websites to order OEM and after market parts. Shop around cause sometime shipping can kill a good deal. I like stadiumyamaha, boats.net and powersportsplus to compare OEM prices. A forum member works for procycle and has set up a TW specific page with a lot good stuff all in one place. Here is a link to an older thread with a bunch of parts links.

Lastly hurry up and order a shirt the deadline is approaching and this offer may not happen again.

Almost forgot. The 1987 have a different electric system and I'm not sure of the specifics. Most all parts are the same for all years with some exceptions and I don't know them all. Search the forum. It has been covered numerous times.

Some examples... Older bikes have front drum brakes where as newer bikes have a disc. Some have kick starters other don't. Some have fork oil drains the newer ones don't. Different carbs, different sprockets, different cam chain adjusters. But by and large the big parts are all the same. The biggest problem I'm aware of is the 87 CDI are prone to fail and they seem to be hard to find and $$$ cost a bunch of $$$
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Thank you ver much for all your help! Been trying to read as much as possible! Did not know you can search for key word or topics! Thank you for your time in helping me out!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No Worries!

Read here on how to use google to search the forum.

Basically you type site:tw200forum.com "spark arrestor"

Of course you replace "spark arrestor" with what you are looking for.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Sponosred Links