How long to warm up a TW?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How long to warm up a TW?

How long to warm up a TW?

I just purchased a used 2014 TW.

It starts up fine with a choke but I have to ride around for at least 15 minutes with the choke before it warms up enough where I can turn the choke off. Otherwise the engine dies when I open the throttle. Is this a normal warm up period?

So far I’ve turned the jet 2 1/2 turns as recommended and the popping on deceleration has resolved. I’m about to add a couple washers on the needle.

I’m at 6500’ elevation and the bike is stock California model.
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Before you do washers use some Seafoam in the tank or remove, clean and inspect the pilot jet. Some just replace it. It has a tiny hole that plugs easily especially with ethanol gas. I have used a strand of copper wire from stranded electrical cable plus carb cleaner to clean the pilot hole carefully. Another option is to go up one size to a #34 pilot jet. My bikes have a modified exhaust and so needed to be rejettied. Not sure you need to go bigger pilot at your altitude. If you just try Seafoam it will take a few days to help clear the jet.

Edit buy Yamaha jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I just purchased a used 2014 TW.

It starts up fine with a choke but I have to ride around for at least 15 minutes with the choke before it warms up enough where I can turn the choke off. Otherwise the engine dies when I open the throttle. Is this a normal warm up period?

So far I’ve turned the jet 2 1/2 turns as recommended and the popping on deceleration has resolved. I’m about to add a couple washers on the needle.

Last edited by Tweaker; 04-16-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Is this a normal warm up period?

No, definitely NOT normal! My 2018 (exactly the same as my 2010) warms up in 10 seconds on full choke and another 30 seconds on half choke at below 40 degrees. Above that it only needs 30 seconds on half choke and above 70 degrees no choke at all.

At 5,700 feet, nearly the same altitude as you, I use 2 to 2 & 1/4 turns and NO washers. Use Seafoam before making any changes other than turning the pilot needle in slightly. Your problem is almost certainly the result of Ethanol fuel left in the tank too long.
    Elvesus, jtstdub, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback. I opened up the carb and it was sparkly clean inside. I added the 2 washers and left the pilot jet at 2.5 turns. It started right up with the choke and after a minute or so of warm up it ran like a top.

Good that it is running better. I would still follow the Seafoam advice since your adjustments seem very rich for your elevation. Certainly they would make my bike run uncomfortably rich at comparable elevations. With stock jetting and a mixture screw setting of 2 revolutions out from seated my 2003 & 2006 California models start right up without use of the enrichening circuit at elevations above 5,000 ft and temperatures above 40 degrees F.
    Of corse every bike is a bit different but I suspect a little degraded fuel scum is responsible for the slow warm-up and lean symptoms. A little icleaner like Seafoam, Lucas Deep Cleaner, or others can often work big improvements.
    jtstdub likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

As Fred said glad it is running better. When I have let my bikes sit for as little as 4-8 weeks a hard spidery web formation gets in the pilot jet the rest of the carb looks sparkly clean. Sometimes the Seafoam gets it out and sometimes I need to clean it. The solution is to ride them more. Lol.
    Elvesus likes this.

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Yeah, the SeaFoam excuse allows me to tell my wife I have to go fix my bike by going for a ride.
    Purple and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I’ve been reading the tech write ups and trying to learn about carbs. I understand the main jet helps the high end, needle the mid range and the pilot jet low end. What is the difference between the pilot jet screw and the pilot jet? #16 and #15 on the diagram below. I’m assuming the jet screw is what adjust the lean? What does the other pilot jet do? Thanks.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...7a3/carburetor
    admiral likes this.

I’ve been reading the tech write ups and trying to learn about carbs. I understand the main jet helps the high end, needle the mid range and the pilot jet low end. What is the difference between the pilot jet screw and the pilot jet? #16 and #15 on the diagram below. I’m assuming the jet screw is what adjust the lean? What does the other pilot jet do? Thanks.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...7a3/carburetor
    This below can put it into better words than I ever could.

1. Pilot or idle jet system.

The idle jet controls the idle and on up to quarter throttle, give or take a bit. On some carbs, like Mikuni there is an air jet too. In conjunction with the idle jet there is an idle jet air screw. This screw leans or richens the fuel mixture for a smooth idle and on up to one quarter throttle. From the idle jet, there are little passages cast into the carb that lead to holes just in front of the throttle valve or plate. There can be just one holeor there can be several, depending on the carb design. They effect the mixture as long as the vacuum, in the venturi, is over them. As the throttle opens further, the vacuum moves to the needle jet and jet needle.

Here is the source URL's:

Carburetor Theory and Tuning
    Dan's Motorcycle Carburator theory and Tuning

The Idle Circuit
    Dan's Motorcycle "Idle Circuit"
    Last edited by admiral; 04-20-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

So Kermit I didn’t want to comment but I think you cured your symptom and not your idle problem by raising the needle. The needle affects the whole throttle range from idle to full. It is slightly tapered and by raising it you enriched the idle circuit which seems to have helped. But your pilotjet could still have a restriction in it.

Raising the needle added a lot of pop to my bikes midrange because of the DG pipes. Did you notice any increase in acceleration in your midrange throttle after adding the shims?
    JerseyJeeper and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links