What do you use to clean & oil your air filter?
Close
    Back in the old days we used gasoline to clean foam air filters and regular old 30W to oil up the filter. Now I see that there are special cleaners and special oil (even aerosol) for air filter maintenance. I also see that you can spend a lot of money for these “special” cleaners and oils.

I am just curious what you guys use to clean and oil your TW filter?

Thanks.

Kerosene usually; or diesel if I can't get it. It's a great cleaner for most mechanical items. I even use it on my firearms. I use the same thing I put in the crankcase for oil. That's going to be full synthetic after I finish rebuilding my head. Waiting for parts to come in.

I use dish soap and water for cleaning. Once dry I use cheap ATF on the foam.

It's red, so the bike thinks it's expensive K&N spray.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought a aerosol spray can of K&N filter oil. All I can say is "What a waste of money!"
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Kwizard, lizrdbrth and Tony,

Thanks for the information. After hearing your input I think I will stick with the tried and true methods and skip the fancy-dancy specialty products.

I also like the Kerosene idea better than the gasoline that I used to use.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Once dry I use cheap ATF on the foam.

It's red, so the bike thinks it's expensive K&N spray.
    You sir, are a wise and sneaky man. Hopefully your bike does not read the forums.

Thank you gentlemen.

Honestly the K&N (et al) spray stuff is hard to beat for ease of application and a tall can of it will last a fair while. If you only have one bike it could be a justifiable expense if for no reason other than convenience.

But oil is oil when it comes to foam air filters and its only purpose is to remain wet, catch dust, not be so thick as to restrict airflow and not contain ingredients which are destructive to the foam.

I keep a gallon or two of cheap house brand Dexron2 ATF around at all times anyway. I use it to flush forks and as fork oil on the TW and a couple of other bikes, chain lube when I'm on roadtrips, mix it with MEK or acetone to free up stubborn nuts and bolts and a boatload of other stuff. Works on air cleaners as well and keeps me from accumulaing a zillion little aerosol cans of various products and preparations that always seem to go empty at inopertune moments.

But mostly I use it cuz I'm a cheap bastit.

The reason I use Dexron2 is for the fork oil function. They keep reformulating all the other types of tranny oils and their viscosities are always changing. Dexron2 (so far) has remained a consistent 8-10W, depending on the brand.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Diesel because I always have some around for the tractor.

Lizrdbrth or anyone else,

Anyone have experience with "Air Filter Skins"? I've read (not personally used) about "Air Filter Skins", which many dual sport folks use on long dusty rides so they don't have to clean the air filter proper with oil and such.

Maybe not a replacement as much as it is a supplement to proper air filter oil application. According to one site, I read where it trapped 90% of dirt.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links