Bike won't start in the mornings!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I've tried on 3 consecutive mornings to ride my bike. Temps were 42,54,58f. Bike sat out over night. Pull choke , turn on fuel wait 30 secs try to start. Each time ran battery down. Recharged while at work. Each time when I get home bike starts within 1-2 secs of hitting the starter button. What's wrong? Battery? Other? Thoughts?

I'd start by checking your battery terminals for tightness and corrosion, then check the Ignition systems ground points for the same. The coil is grounded beneath the fuel tank and the CDI is grounded in the battery area. If that doesn't help check your spark plug, see if it is getting spark and has proper gap.

Thanks I will check those. I also want to add that it would turn over for 30-45 seconds. At 5-8 secs at a time. Just don't understand why it starts easy in the evenings. I'll pull the battery and take it in for a check tomorrow as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Possibly moisture in the air condensing on the electrics shorting out something. It drys during the day and all is well.

Try covering it with a cheap Harbor Freight tarp before putting it to bed and see what happens in the morning.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Good tip, would expain why it always started on cold mornings in the barn. If this is what is indeed hapening......any idea where this could happen? I would hate to get caught in a rain storm and have the bike shut down.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Sounds to me more like you have a bad battery. You have no kickstart? Have you tried to roll start it or jump it with another battery?

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post
    Good tip, would expain why it always started on cold mornings in the barn. If this is what is indeed hapening......any idea where this could happen? I would hate to get caught in a rain storm and have the bike shut down.

My GUESS is around the spark plug and spark plug wire. Moisture condenses on the spark plug itself and the electricity goes down the outside of the plug.

This may start an argument but you can spray WD40 on the end of the spark plug and up into the spark plug boot thing. That is suppose to keep moisture away. (WD40 is one of the items many people either love or hate and are passionate about it.)

Let us all know what happens.

Mine did that for a while it was a combination weak battery, corrosion in the battery cables and at the starter and I needed to turn the pilot screw out 3 turns. Now it will start without choke and it has been in the 40's in the morning. It is best to start these bikes in neutral, not in gear with the clutch pulled in. The starter doesn't spin the motor fast enough and the spark plug wont get enough juice. Switching to 10-40w in the winter really seems to help.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Before trying WD40 take a dry paper towel, remove the spark plug wire and dry the spark plug and inside the boot with the towel. See if that does any good.

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post

This is what happened to me riding home in one of the worse rain storms I've ever been in, thunder,lightning pouring rain. Better than my shower. Bike just shut down on the HWY going 55, just coasted over to the side of the road and it would not start. Started to think of how I was going to get home. About 5-10 mins. later it just started up as if nothing happened. Rode the rest of the way home and have not had any problems since.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links