oil type
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: oil type

  1. #1
    Junior Member 400nitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    27

    oil type

    does anyone use synthetic oil. my top of the valve guide broke so I cant use a valve seal on the intake. would it be a good idea to use synthetic oil so it don't build up carbon on the valve? thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member scotti158's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Groton, NY
    Posts
    2,663
    You could always replace the valve guide. Fix it right, you and your bike will be happier in the long run. I think most of us are using a motorcycle specific synthetic oil. Good oil equals less wear and better shifting. How did the top of the valve guide break? Never seen this happen without a little help.
    JerseyJeeper, Fred and Old n dirty like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

    1996 Yamaha TW200

    1995 Kawasaki KLR650

    2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nicoradv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North East Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by 400nitro View Post
    does anyone use synthetic oil. my top of the valve guide broke so I cant use a valve seal on the intake. would it be a good idea to use synthetic oil so it don't build up carbon on the valve? thank you.
    Like Scotti states "Fix it right"

    Trying to work around a problem like that may leave you stranded in somewhere you had rather not be.

    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    You could always replace the valve guide. Fix it right, you and your bike will be happier in the long run. I think most of us are using a motorcycle specific synthetic oil. Good oil equals less wear and better shifting. How did the top of the valve guide break? Never seen this happen without a little help.
    Well then, i'm one of the exceptions to that. Shell Rotella T4
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 04-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member 400nitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    27
    it had a burned intake valve, the end of the stem was mushroomed and removing it ? how long do the rings hold up in these. I bought it not running with 12000 miles on it. I just wanted to get it running until I could see if it shifted ok or had any other problems.

  6. #5
    Senior Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by 400nitro View Post
    ihow long do the rings hold up in these?
    Others on this forum better qualified to answer, than I.
    Meanwhile, that is a loaded question, as it depends upon:
    1. Was it properly run-in?
    2. Was it ALWAYS allowed to warm up before working hard?
    3. Did it spend a lot of time at higher RPMs?
    4. Oil changed frequently?
    5. Good quality oil?
    Old n dirty likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

  7. #6
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by 400nitro View Post
    it had a burned intake valve, the end of the stem was mushroomed and removing it ? how long do the rings hold up in these. I bought it not running with 12000 miles on it. I just wanted to get it running until I could see if it shifted ok or had any other problems.
    Valve stems mushroom from running it without the proper valve lash set (too loose), always file around the top of the stem with a fine file when it occurs so you can get the valve out without damaging the guide.

    Changing a guide is is not for an amateur, it's "involved".

    as far as running it without a stem seal.. bad idea unless it's for a very short distance to check things as you said. Best to just buy a used head off of eBay.

    Best of luck, get it running! Have some fun!
    grewen and Old n dirty like this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

  8. #7
    Senior Member Borneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,367
    An Oil thread!!!! I knew someday someone here would start an oil thread. Just joking. But, in all seriousness, unless something has changed, people here love oil threads. It might seem like an artificial answer, but I always use synthetic oil.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

    my blog Hidden Content

  9. #8
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Others on this forum better qualified to answer, than I.
    Meanwhile, that is a loaded question, as it depends upon:
    1. Was it properly run-in?
    2. Was it ALWAYS allowed to warm up before working hard?
    3. Did it spend a lot of time at higher RPMs?
    4. Oil changed frequently?
    5. Good quality oil?

    Sports Doc! I just noticed, you have way way too many bikes! Get some therapy man!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

  10. #9
    Senior Member Borneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6,367
    Damb! He does have a lot of bikes.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

    my blog Hidden Content

  11. #10
    Senior Member grewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Armstrong BC
    Posts
    2,410
    synthetic oils will carbon up too
    JerseyJeeper and Peterb like this.
    Greg

    2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Service Type
    By Tjmay in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 07:40 PM
  3. what type of skid plate do i need?
    By paelo man in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
  4. Oil Type
    By Senior Dirt Dog in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.