bent frame?
Close

Thread: bent frame?

I am looking for my first TW. My brother has found one down the street from him, but the owner says the frame is bent. He bought it that way intending on getting a new frame, but has decided to sell off some projects. He said someone that was interested in it said they bend in this paticular spot and they just weld a plate to reinforce. It is an 05 3k miles and wants 850. What is your opinions on the frame issue? It sounds like a good deal even with the frame issue. If you do a frame swap, what do you do with the vin?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    90 tw 200

New frame: I've had to take the receipt for a new frame, which shows the new VIN, and the old title and/or registration to the DMV and apply for a new title.

Custom built frames: With frames I built from scratch I had to take the receipts for the steel and apply for a new title. Sometimes I'd stamp the existing VIN into the steering neck.

Used frame: If I bought a clunker to reuse the frame I had to register the clunker and put all and put all my better parts on the clunker frame, so make sure the frame comes with a title.

Mike, given what my bike went through, it is hard to imagine that these frames bend easy. With my mishap, the fork tubes twisted in the triple tree causing the bike to pull slightly. It was an easy fix. Just a thought. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am tempted to buy w/o looking at it(since it is in another state). Seems like a good price(850) don't you think?

Mike
    90 tw 200

i don't think it looks like that great of a deal. people find tw's around here all the time for around 1k.

i would keep looking, spend a little more, and not have to deal with the frame/title issues. how much would a frame repair or a frame swap + title work and labor cost? i have seen frames on ebay, but shipping isn't cheap, and you'd be left with a motorcycle without matching numbers and the value would always take a hit because of that.

now if you were buying that bike to do some crazy bobber/custom frame project, it would be a great deal, but if you want a tw the way a tw comes, i think you could save time, energy, and potentially money in just finding something with no or less severe damage.

I paid 1800 for my 02 with 600 original miles. I wouldnt touch a bent frame bike like that unless it was free.. 2 cents

A nifty little trick that you can do when buying any second hand bike is to drive through a wet patch on the tarmac (use a water hose to make a wet spot).

Drive the bike trough/over the wet tar.

You can then see if the bike has a bent/twisted frame by looking at the wet tracks on the tar.
    2008 TW200

total cost of a safe ridable bike is definetly something to consider when thinking of buying a damaged bike. without seeing it is hard to understand how bad the damage is but if the bike looks ridable besides the bend maybe you can straighten and rienforce exhisting frame. if this bike is significantly cheaper than what the average used one is going for in your area i wouldnt count it out. good luck making your decision.

sorry about bad spelling my brain is having an off day.

shawn
    not a TW owner but i play one on this forum.

Sponosred Links