Grease Gun and Grease Recommendations Please - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Grease Gun and Grease Recommendations Please

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Way too organized, way to much. Are those magnets from something up on top of the chart? I dismantled some computer hard drives recently and they had really strong magnets which somewhat resemble the shape of those on the chart. Just curious.
    That is really organized, I need to follow your example. If evolution were true, my garage will explode and out will come a new running partially wooden motorcycle.

Way too organized, way to much. Are those magnets from something up on top of the chart? I dismantled some computer hard drives recently and they had really strong magnets which somewhat resemble the shape of those on the chart. Just curious.
    That is exactly what those are. Super strong, free( for me at least) and they come in handy.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

btw.. is this too organized too?????

I want to scrap those cabinets up top and build some new shelving with tool cubbies in it.
    Last edited by jb882; 05-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    admiral likes this.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is off-topic...but a good place to maybe get an answer...........

Are there metric and SAE zerks? Not the threaded portion, but the nipple portion.

Some zerks fit right up with my grease gun, others 'leak' like crazy unless I hold the fitting on just right...and even then it takes a good bit of pressure on the fitting not not have it leak.

The solution to having a metric zerk that leaks with my gun would be to replace the fitting on the gun? Or....hose on the gun in the case of a crimped on fitting. I would suppose that most wrenchers have both metric and SAE guns, then?

Maybe a trip to an hydraulic-n-air place could crimp on a new fitting.

It's always been a pain..but I've never looked into what it would take to resolve the problem. Most of my greasing stuff is suspension components that don't use a gun, but bulk grease.

Thanks for any input.

I know there are metric threaded zerk fittings but i believe the nipple is the same. I have run into the similar issue as you but normally for me the little ball in the end of the zerk is not free and wont allow grease to pass. After i clean them off if grease wont flow easily i make sure the ball is free by poking it with an awl. if the ball is frozen or does not return to closed its time for a new fitting.
    Fred likes this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I know there are metric threaded zerk fittings but i believe the nipple is the same. I have run into the similar issue as you but normally for me the little ball in the end of the zerk is not free and wont allow grease to pass. After i clean them off if grease wont flow easily i make sure the ball is free by poking it with an awl. if the ball is frozen or does not return to closed its time for a new fitting.
    That is an excellent refresher idea! I am familiar with that issue and have forced a reluctant zerk more than once. I'll also bet I've NOT tried that when 'oily leakage and failure to control it' has been a problem at hand.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I like a grease gun you can pump with one hand, and with a universal nipple adapter so you can get into hard to reach places.
    A lot of nipples I find are covered in clothing.
    if you have trouble with yamaha grease fittings try alemite 308730 coupler it was only $8.50 at traction and it works.

If one has difficulties getting adequate axial alignment of the hydraulic coupler with the zerk fitting then a little plumber's teflon tape on the zerk threads can change it's position when bottomed out threaded into the swing arm. Or simply use a flex hose on the grease gun.
    SanDue and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

There are a lot of good greases out there. I have 5 different greases I use on aircraft alone! You have to use what they specify.

We put a new suspension on my buddy's F150 to mimic the Raptor suspension and it specified Super Lube synthetic grease.
    When I ran a dumptruck, I would by cases of Mobilegrease (red) 2 cases at a time. You can't imagine how many grease zerks are on a dumptruck. As far as using the red tacky grease from Lucas, I have found that it works well in sliding metal applications like the pivots on a backhoe but it is far from the best grease for axle bearings. Lucas makes an X-tra heavy duty grease that is better for roller bearings.

I just use Aeroshell 22 on my swing arm because it is what was in my grease gun. Be careful with greases that have moly in them. They will ruin roller bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I like a grease gun you can pump with one hand, and with a universal nipple adapter so you can get into hard to reach places.
    A lot of nipples I find are covered in clothing.
    Pmsl at that ha,ha,ha, nipples covered in clothing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponosred Links