Oil Change Question – ease my worry
Close

I changed my oil today and when I was done I started up the bike and loosened the oil gallery bolt on the head to look for oil coming out. Should I be worried about how little oil I saw come out there? The bolt was loosened about 3 turns and I slid the compression washer back. After 30-40 seconds there was just enough oil to see it building up on the thread of the bolt, but not enough to drip off the bolt. Even after a minute there still wasn’t enough oil to drip off the bolt.

Is this normal, or should I see more oil coming out?

(If it matters I put in Mobil 1, Racing 4T 10w-40 and got the oil filter from my Yamaha dealer and it had the 4 openings and 4 holes. I rechecked the placement of the filter and it was correct.)

I believe your OK....I had the same reaction/question as you.TW doesn't make that much pressure to "shoot" the oil out.If you were to back the screw out until it is almost all the way out,you'd see more oil flow. Enjoy the TW and Oregon.

You could do what I did the first time, back it out until it falls on the floor and pump oil all over the place. Seriously, you're fine. If it would ease your mind you can loosen the bolt up a little more and see more come out.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I went through that process, the bike was on the side stand. I saw only a small amount of oil 'weeping' out. What seemed to be happening at the same time was, more oil than I saw was using a cylinder fin as transport to the other side of the engine then dripping down on lower fins then the case. Under the best of circumstances an engine running at 3000 rpm does not get much above 4 psi when warm and requires many more rpm to make that when hot. I had a VW pressure sender tee'd into my oil cooler line for a brief period. My warning light was more on than off. Gerry

sender removed.... Imagine staring at this (four superbright red led's forward of gas cap) during most of your off-road adventure ..

Take care my Friend.........

Frog13, PSC and mrgizmow,

Thank you for your input. I was hoping to hear from a few other people so I could sleep better and not worry about my new purchase but I think you guys have at least partially eased my mind.

Yesterday I saw a brand new 2013 TW in a parking lot. I thought about asking the guy if he would mind if I took out my 10mm socket to loosen one of the bolts on his head so I could to see how much oil came out. Upon further reflection though, I figured he might think I was some kind of nut and hit me with his helmet.

Thank you gentlemen.

mrgizmow, I am in total awe of your bike. Have you ever posted a listing of all your mods and farkles?)

This thread actually helped me out too. Today when I changed my oil I slowly backed that bolt out until I saw the faintest trickle of oil.

I'm still trying to clean the oil out from between the fins after I backed the bolt all of the way out 1000 miles ago and unleashed a flood.

Fun fact: After I backed the bolt all of the way out I proceeded to torque it back in so hard that I twisted the head clean off!

That was a fun afternoon.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Thanks Mr. White Truck. Some have suggested that I march to the beat of a very distant drummer. Here is a link to my Photo Bucket account. No real order to this stuff but you will certainly get to see the evolution of my bike mods. Should anything pique your interest and you would profit from some follow-up by me, PM me and I will try to remember how and why I did what I did. Gerry

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii303/mrgizmow/
    Take care my Friend.........

Sponosred Links