TCI Skid Plate Install Help?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone else had trouble with fitment with the TCI skid plate?

The hole in the skid plate doesn't match up well with the hole in the frame, it falls about 1/4" too low. It looks like the little bar on the frame that holds the tab at the back of the skid plate in place is getting in the way. Maybe I should just cut that little bar off?

Then there's mounting the engine guards. The instructions call for leaving all of the fasteners loose until they're all lined up, but I can't see how you can get to the nuts on the inside of the plate to tighten them with the plate installed. At the same time, it seems like it would take a lot of trial and error plus some darn good luck to get the guards mounted just right for all of the holes to match up with the plate off of the bike.

Any help from folks who have successfully mounted this plate would be appreciated.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

PM sent.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Haha, I just put one on not to long ago. It was a complete PITA. Unparalleled engine protection...YES. User friendly....NO. It wasn't right the first time I put it on but I got fed up and left it as it was.

Just today I finally got around to loosening everything back up and playing with it to get it just right. I have to take it off to change the oil. I also have to loosen up the left side eng case guard so that I can get the plugs off to adjust TDC when doing the valves.

Still all in all it is a great plate.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

THIS is all you should need to do to perform oil changes, valve adjustments or whatever:

No frame loop cutting required. You may need to tweek the loop slightly if your plate won't drop all the way to the ground for removal. You most certainly don't have to disturb the side guards for any reason.

3 bolts, 12.2 seconds. Otherwise same as stock. Something tells me this is more of an issue with the instructions and the sloppy bike-to-bike production tolerances on Yamaha's part rather than with the plate itself. I think I'll contact Tom and see what we can do to rectify the situation since so many seem to be having the same difficulties.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

THIS is removing the whole plate, no?

The fact that they are 13mm is a pain, nothing else on the bike is a 13mm. So you now have to carry 2-13mm wrenchs.

Initial install...Getting to the inside nuts is well...nuts. The longer center bolt they send didn't come with a lock washer and mine rattled out on the first ride. The wire mesh was welded on so that I couldn't get a wrench on the bolts. I had to cut off some of the mesh just so I can get a wrench on the engine case bolts. You can't do any of the install with ratchet. They should include a longer bolt that goes through the frame and holds the stand offs. Re using the stock one is a bit short.

Don't get me wrong, if you spend a bit of time and get it all together just right it is great. It just takes quite a bit of fiddling with to get it together right. Maybe I don't have enough patience. I still love this plate!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Thanks for the advice lizrdbrth, I'll be taking another crack at this install tomorrow.

In the meantime I've sent an email to TCI regarding these fitment issues, hopefully they'll get back to me.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

DonBenito

Not sure what you have tried yet but this is what worked for me.

First I installed the Eng side covers to the plate and just snugged the bolt so that I could still move the case guards but they were not what i would term loose.

Next position the plate below the engine and lift the back of the plate so that it goes above the wire. Lift the front up and into place so you can get the front bolt in. Tighten the front bolt all the way up, that should ensure the plate slides back all the way into position at the back. It May bend that wire so you may have to put some ass into it to get the front bolt hole lined up. Next I installed the stand offs and left them loose. Now adjusted the Eng sides until I could bolt them to the stand offs. Finally I went around and tightened everything up. You shouldn't have to mess with the Eng side bolts again, good thing cause it is not easy trying to get on the nuts so they won't spin.

Finally I tightened the Stand off bolt that goes through the frame.

It really is not all that hard to get this on just right. It is not as easy as say putting on a Jimbo shield but not as hard as getting one of those ATV tires on.

If it is ok with Lizrdbrth could you post his PM about the install. I think it might be usefull to all.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Aight. Long as you still love it.

I've contacted Tom and he's already reading this forum and investigating any possible issues which may exist on his end.

No surprise to me because in my experience that's how the man conducts his buisiness. He makes good stuff, stands behind it.

But he's not clairvoyant. I'm the first to call him about it, and I don't even have a complaint.

My PM to Don Benito wasn't a great deal different than your own install advice. You just gotta have patience and follow the instructions, but you only have to do it once.

Any initial misalignment of the front bolt should be solved with slight upward pressure beneath the skid plate with a floor jack or bike lift. Once everything is aligned and tightened it will remain that way.

As to the 13mm bolts, I just replaced them with Allen heads of the same thread. Never found the need to mess with the sideguard-to-plate bolts, even after hitting The Bikehalting Iceberg Rock From Hell, OR after this one-point landing from the trail 6 feet above. It's remained an immovable object, drops as easily as the stocker:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I think that it is brilliant how he has left a lot of play in all the components. Everyone's bikes are going to be a little different and this design gives the flexibility to fit the plate to them all. Just got to put the time in. My biggest problem initially was the mesh was in the way of getting a wrench on the bolts. I even tried putting the nuts on the outside with the bolt heads inboard but that was worse. I just had to use some diagonal cutters to remove some of the wire mesh. I didn't have the problem some are having with the wire under motor. Mine went up and under the engine no problem.

Regardless of any install issues it is still the best Eng protection out there. Money well spent in my opinion.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    .....I have to take it off to change the oil. I also have to loosen up the left side eng case guard so that I can get the plugs off to adjust TDC when doing the valves.

Still all in all it is a great plate.

You are right it is only 3 bolts to get off to change the oil. I just wish you could get a socket on the standoff bolts rather than the 13mm wrench.

I found I didn't have to remove it to get the TDC view plug out, I only have to loosen the left side bolt and I can bend the side out of the way just enough to get the plug out.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links