Intake manifold
Close

Thread: Intake manifold

Howdy Y'all,

Is there ever any backpressure at the intake manifold? I ask because I want to use the canister vacuum nipple on the intake manifold to install my new Dial-A-Jet there.

I appreciate ya'

The nipple is fine as a vacuum source. Your Texas bike has a canister, or is the nipple attached to the resonator under the tank?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The nipple is fine as a vacuum source. Your Texas bike has a canister, or is the nipple attached to the resonator under the tank?

Hey Liz,

It's attached to a black hose that goes up to the frame; then forward. It has an aluminum plug at the end.

Would the vacuum be any stronger at the intake manifold than at the carb intake?

Thanks,

Larry

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had a minor brainfart. You need to use PORTED vacuum (Ahead of the carb throat) for the Dial-A-Jet. If you use the manifold port the unit will always see full vacuum. You'll have to port it to the carb.

The "silencer" or "resonator" or whatever Yamaha calls the black tube thingy actually stores vacuum between intake cycles. It has a function, however minimal.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Kwizard, after you get a chance to use your new Dial A Jet, could you post a report on your observations and conclusions? I was thinking about installing a Dial A Jet on my 2012, but I was getting mixed opinions on its use here at high elevation (where I thought it would be most useful). Thanks in advance. Mel

Thanks lzrbrth; you're handier than a pocket. I can't rightfully see how there would be any difference. The same amount of air is flowing. Maybe it's somekind of harmonics thing. They talk about acoustical waves in the description of how it works. They also say to mount it on the filter side of the carb; but damn it, that little nipple just looks so handy. Y'all get your minds out of the gutter. I'll let y'all know how it works out. Probably be Monday before I get at it; cause I'm waiting on parts to do some other stuff on the bike.

Ride on.s

See my correction above. I gave you crap advice earlier and whatever's going on with the site kept me from correcting myself. If you use the manifold the signal will always be "on", even when the butterfly is closed. Won't work.

The unit has to feed from the mouth end of the carb or it will feed fuel constantly, even at idle. My bad..

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    See my correction above. I gave you crap advice earlier and whatever's going on with the site kept me from correcting myself. If you use the manifold the signal will always be "on", even when the butterfly is closed. Won't work.

The unit has to feed from the mouth end of the carb or it will feed fuel constantly, even at idle. My bad..

OK; I'm starting to understand now. The unit is designed to actuate just above idle, and having it placed after the butterfly would throw the whole shooting match out of wack. It wouldn't do what it's designed to do, and that is to accentuate the jets; not to compete with them.

Sponosred Links