Is the pilot jet blocked lengthwise?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is the pilot jet blocked lengthwise?

My bike has been idling poorly for awhile. I crashed it pretty hard this spring and haven't ridden it since and just figured the pilot circut shellacked up a bit. Well, I pulled the bowl and everything is really clean with no dirt or grime anywhere. I pulled the pilot jet, and was looking on the Easy TK cleaning post and it said that I should see light through the end as well as the side drillings. The side drilling are very clean, but I could not see through the end. I took a small drill and just using my fingers to turn it tried to clear the passage through the bore from the end. No go from either end. It appears to be blocked by brass as though it was made that way. Do any of you have you TK apart and can look? Or are any of you positive. I don't want to drill it through and then find that was the wrong thing to do. TIA. BTW, my TW is a 2003

Step away from the drill bit.....

Soak it, blow it out, probe it with one strand of soft copper wire but no NOT put anything resembling a hardened drill bit through it. If you increase the size of the hole in the process of cleaning it the bike won't run right when you're done.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Step away from the drill bit.....

Soak it, blow it out, probe it with one strand of soft copper wire but no NOT put anything resembling a hardened drill bit through it. If you increase the size of the hole in the process of cleaning it the bike won't run right when you're done.

Thanks for all of that, but what I need to know is if it is actually bored lengthwise. if so is it a reduced orifice for just that little distance. It is a fairly cheap part from Ron Ayers, but then it might not run until then. Of course it doesn't run good enough to ride right now. If it is just a reduced orifice for that small distance, does anyone know the dimention. I have a numbered drill set and the number on the bottom of the jet is 31, but I don't know if that means .031" of if it is just a Yamaha or TK ID number.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You're correct. The actual orifice is in the end of the jet and is stepped down from the i.d. of the portion with the bleed holes.

It's a #40 jet, but it's a Teikei #40 and not neccessarily a #40 drill size.

Be patient and be careful with it. I prefer to use a Guitar "E" string or remove one strand of copper from a length of #14 stranded wire to loosen the crud after soaking. Personally I never try to clear a dry or hardened deposit without pre-soaking. Tends to cock things like drill bits sideways into the brass.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    You're correct. The actual orifice is in the end of the jet and is stepped down from the i.d. of the portion with the bleed holes.

It's a #40 jet, but it's a Teikei #40 and not neccessarily a #40 drill size.

Be patient and be careful with it. I prefer to use a Guitar "E" string or remove one strand of copper from a length of #14 stranded wire to loosen the crud after soaking. Personally I never try to clear a dry or hardened deposit without pre-soaking. Tends to cock things like drill bits sideways into the brass.

Ok, thanks, I will try soaking it first, but whatever is in there looks like a piece of brass stuck in sideways. I haven't been able to push anything through from either side so far. In the mean time, I think I will just get a new one on the way.

That center/end hole is where the fuel/air mixture is fed into the pilot passageway. Air comes through the side holes, and fuel comes through the bottom hole.

The stock pilot jet in your 2003 is a #31. The end hole is so small that the thinnest carb cleaning wire will not pass through.

Jb
    scootah likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

What are you using that #34 on?

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    That center/end hole is where the fuel/air mixture is fed into the pilot passageway. Air comes through the side holes, and fuel comes through the bottom hole.

The stock pilot jet in your 2003 is a #31. The end hole is so small that the thinnest carb cleaning wire will not pass through.

Jb

That's perfect, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post

Jb

Good call on that. Early slide carbs had the 40's. My bad.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
    What are you using that #34 on?
    I have it in my 2005 TW. It's from an XT250.

I have no explanation, but my bike starts and runs better with the #34. It does run rich, according to the plug color, but does run better, IMO.

I'm not making a recommendation to others. It works for me.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links