Just bought a 1987 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I found an '87 TW200 on Arizona craigslist. Not running. 3,144 miles. Sat in a metal storage for 10 years. Not stored properly. Tank half full of fuel and rusty. Pretty much all there. Missing the side plastic trims and the plastic cover for wiring on right side. Needs the chain guard. The headlamp / high low beam switch needs to be replaced. Fork boots are not pretty. If anyone can tell me a place to find these parts and tell me the battery size / number, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. arizonabusmocamper

Did you already buy it? The 1987 Model has a different electrical setup and the CDI's are prone to fail. They can be costly and hard to find.

You can get a Clarke tank replacement, it is bigger than stock, cheaper than a new metal one. Justgastanks was offering a discount not to long ago to forum members, not sure if it is still going on.

I would start your parts search here. You should get a good Idea how much $ your looking at. Shopping around you may find parts cheaper or better shipping deals.

A forum member works at Procycle and set up a TW page with a lot a parts too.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Look in the classified ad section of this forum. Post "Want To Buy" (WT ads for specific parts. Search the forum for what others have done. For example, use generic fork boots and how to install them -- a set is <$20. Just one from Yamaha is >$40.

Be patient, Ask questions. Shop around (don't forget used parts on ebay). It will all come together.

I have two '87's and they both run well.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

pm sent
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I should like to add a bit of prior wisdom to this thread, for continuity, and maybe it'll help:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...an-older-bike/
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

welcome!...i deal with these guys for OEM parts...but like it was said above if you don't have to go OEM then aftermarket is the way to go...sometimes cheaper and just as good...procycle has a lot of good stuff...i would do like Tony said and post up your WTB list in the classified section as well as a photo cause forum members may have other parts you can use...maybe post up a photo of your bike as well so people can throw out parts/ideas for you...tank, battery & fork boots i would go aftermarket

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...4/Model/TW_200

used chain guards on ebay are pricy...ron ayers is cheaper for a new one...

if you need to find anything on this forum use google to search for it and type it in like below...

site:https://tw200forum.com battery

a lot of people around here like shorai batteries but they aren't cheap

http://www.shoraipower.com/c.3379047...ery-finder.ssp

My advice is that before you get too carried away you focus first on getting the engine running. Only because it's an '87, which have a failure prone CDI as mentioned. That particular CDI is no longer available from Yamaha, can be hundreds of dollars if you find an N.O.S. one, and used ones generally aren't a very safe gamble.

A lot of '87's are sold as non-runners for this reason ("Been sitting for a year, only needs battery and carb cleaned. My loss, your gain").

Make sure yours isn't one of them. They sometimes fail in an intermittent manner and will run perfectly for 20 minutes, then cut out, or either won't idle but run fine at high rpm or idle fine but won't run at high rpm, etc. Difficult to diagnose and ca lead you down the garden path of frustration, multiple carb rebuilds, etc. chasiing it down.

Not trying to scare you. There are plenty of good-running '87's out there. But as a precaution until it runs perfectly I'd be less inclined to invest in the missing or damaged cosmetic pieces.

Good bunch of locals to ride with when you get it finished. But watch out for ol' Pinky.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jontow View Post
    I should like to add a bit of prior wisdom to this thread, for continuity, and maybe it'll help:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...an-older-bike/

Jontow, I didn't mean too give this post a negative red mark. I was scrolling my iPad and accidentally touched it right where it causes the red negative feed back. I can't figure out how to make it go away. Sorry!

If anything it should be a green positive. Qwerty had some good advise and it's good you brought it up and shared it.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

n2o2: you can only mark a post once, good news: it for some dumb reason lets me mark it too So I hit + and now its at a neutral count.

It is a sticky, and for good reason, the man knows his stuff. But if someone is searching and doesn't find it, I like to link to those posts in threads, hence the continuity comment.
    --

And for further continuity: please see a thread started by my brother, who has thusly been named "knower of things CDI" on this forum, having spent the better part of his waking hours this summer fighting with his 91:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...mmable-dc-cdi/

Good route to go, if it turns out to be a fried CDI in an '87. Careful, its a long read, and the dude still has my USB-RS232 adapter. Turns out having a place to live outweighs a working TW I forgive him.
    --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links