• 1 Post By DougDotyTW200
  • 2 Post By Tweaker
  • 3 Post By DougDotyTW200
  • 1 Post By grewen
  • 2 Post By DougDotyTW200
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: Is a sticky cold clutch just part of TW life or is there a fix

Is a sticky cold clutch just part of TW life or is there a fix

I have an 03 with 600 miles and a 16 with 650 miles and both bikes are serviced adjusted and fluid changed two times since I have owned them with Yamaha Lube recommended oil. My newer 2016 has a terrible cold sticky clutch every morning and the 2003 never does this. Cables are adjusted exactly the same. I have read some historical posts here but most say it is just known for that. Would rather find a fix. Anybody here have a cure all..... ?? I was going to change to Honda equivalent oil since I have a local dealer for it but also considering syn if anyone here says it is of a benefit to this problem. I am the furthest thing from an oil snob especially on this vintage of motorcycle tech.
    Cornelis likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Yep the synthetic oil seems to cure the cold start clutch grabbing.
    Dryden-Tdub and Cornelis like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Seems odd that one is bothering more than the other with about the same miles and same oil. I'd check the coil spring on the clutch actuator lever down on the engine, make sure that is on there properly. I'm at work with limited computer time or I would search for a pic of this. I would also switch to a motorcycle specific synthetic oil next oil change. I usually will work the clutch lever a few times before I shift into gear the first start of the day. That seems to help.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Seems odd that one is bothering more than the other with about the same miles and same oil. I'd check the coil spring on the clutch actuator lever down on the engine, make sure that is on there properly. I'm at work with limited computer time or I would search for a pic of this. I would also switch to a motorcycle specific synthetic oil next oil change. I usually will work the clutch lever a few times before I shift into gear the first start of the day. That seems to help.
    Spring is in place, I am familiar with it. Going to mobil 1 motorcycle syn to try in both. They use so little and it is so readily available too. Would be an easy fix with likely side benefits as well. thanks guys...
    Dryden-Tdub, Fred and Cornelis like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

i had the same problem with my 2014. mobil1 and time seemed to fix the problem. just pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a few times before cold starts, to break the clutch free
    Last edited by grewen; 05-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Cornelis likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    i had the same problem with my 2014. mobil1 and time seemed to fix the problem. just pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a few times before cold starts, to break the clutch free
    That is what I have been doing and wanting to eliminate the need for. I have two bikes and do not want to have to remind or explain the procedure for getting around a problem to whom ever gets on this 2016.Gonna switch to synthetic and try that.
    Tweaker and Cornelis like this.

My 2015 clutch sticks when cold too. I suspect the older bike clutch springs are more worn in so they don't push out as much oil when you park your bike for the day. Any difference in the clutch pull resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    ...Gonna switch to synthetic and try that.
    Wait until 1,500 miles before you switch to full synthetic. Neither of your TW's is fully broken in yet. When I switched to Mobil 4T full synthetic the cold clutch issue disappeared.
    Cornelis likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links