Probable cam-chain noise - clarification requested.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Probable cam-chain noise - clarification requested.

G'day all.

Over time the TW has developed a ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. It is most noticeable when the idle's low and whilst decelerating in gear.

A ticking noise when idle's low and rattling noise during decell.

It's got around 22k (kilometres) on it and the cam-chain is manual type and correctly adjusted.

Before going further, I seem to deduce that it's the cam-chain - any easy way to check or alternate opinions?

Cheers,

Rob.

Mine had a ticking sound. I adjusted the valves and it went away. I think it was the intake valve had excess clearance. Also, you can adjust the valves without removing the tank but it is so much easier and faster if you do. This was a lesson I learned the hard way.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I'd second the valve adjustment. At 4500 miles my intake was .009" and exhaust was .006". Set them both to .004" and she sounded much better.
    2006 TW200, LED tail & turn signals, Clarke XT350 tank, hybrid YZ80 forks, CycleRacks rear rack, Ricochet bash plate, TTR225 header, eBay pegs, MSR high ATV bars, Tusk bar risers, Tusk handguards & deflectors, Tusk KX250 stainless brake line, XT225 speedo cable, 14/47 sprockets, Mule-pin seat latches, 130 main, 0.035" shimmed needle, TW34/M6006 meats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses.

Valves were checked perhaps 4000k's ago and were adjusted. I might have a look in there though wouldn't have suspected it was them.

Correct me if incorrect; if your valves were loose the 'tapping' would be consistent with each revolution. Slow tapping low RPM, faster at higher RPM.

Perhaps I didn't explain it all that well - it's intermittent and most audible when at low RPM idle and when decelerating in gear. There will be the occasional 'tick' whilst idling too.

Any other thoughts? I will get to the valves soon - but I sure didn't pick them to be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    Perhaps I didn't explain it all that well - it's intermittent and most audible when at low RPM idle and when decelerating in gear. There will be the occasional 'tick' whilst idling too.

You got it. I started noticing the tick again a couple days ago having just "set" the valves last week, mostly audible upon deceleration at low speed. Sure enough the exhaust had opened up to .006" when I thought I set it at .004" (the .002"-.004" range was a booger to maintain as I tightented the lock nut, so I called it good when it was torqued up at .004"). The lock nut was quite a bit stiffer than I torqued it to, but somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Reset it again to .0025" and voila! Super easy procedure and with a keen ear, the bike will always let you know when you need to look at them again...regardless of how recently you've previously adjusted them.

Good luck!

2006 TW200, LED tail & turn signals, Clarke XT350 tank, hybrid YZ80 forks, CycleRacks rear rack, Ricochet bash plate, TTR225 header, eBay pegs, MSR high ATV bars, Tusk bar risers, Tusk handguards & deflectors, Tusk KX250 stainless brake line, XT225 speedo cable, 14/47 sprockets, Mule-pin seat latches, 130 main, 0.035" shimmed needle, TW34/M6006 meats.

Checked the valves this evening.

Haven't done it the 'proper' way in a while (removing timing holes) but I did so tonight.

Was it correct lining up the timing with the scribe next to the T?

Intake seems to have no clearance (0.002" won't fit) and exhaust was a touch tight (about 0.003").

Will the put the bike back together over the weekend.

I'm still not convinced the engine noise was indeed the valves; but we'll find out next week.

'Till then.....

Set the valves correctly and the odd 'ticking' is still there - anyone got any other ideas?

I too have noticed a sound as you describe. I also thought it was the valves and practically drove myself insane. Checked them two or three times and would always be the same. I have just come to deduce that it is just the sound the engine makes. After talking with several others they have said the same thing.

I have just closely monitored everything looking for signs of something being wrong but have found nothing (checked valve clearance, looked for shavings in oil, looked into the cam casing for wear, popped open the valve covers time after time to see if anything was out of wack).

Let me know if you find anything cause I have been constantly worried about it! But am going to just chalk it up to being a noisy engine!
    docjekyll2002 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    I too have noticed a sound as you describe. I also thought it was the valves and practically drove myself insane. Checked them two or three times and would always be the same. I have just come to deduce that it is just the sound the engine makes. After talking with several others they have said the same thing.

I have just closely monitored everything looking for signs of something being wrong but have found nothing (checked valve clearance, looked for shavings in oil, looked into the cam casing for wear, popped open the valve covers time after time to see if anything was out of wack).

Let me know if you find anything cause I have been constantly worried about it! But am going to just chalk it up to being a noisy engine!

That's reassuring Johnny B.

Thing is though, it never used to make that sound. I had another TW which did make that noise too....sold that one.

See how we go - got a 3000k trip planned over Christmas on it and a nearly 1000k trip on Friday week.

Keep you posted if you wish.

Cheers,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by turborob View Post
    That's reassuring Johnny B.

Thing is though, it never used to make that sound. I had another TW which did make that noise too....sold that one.

See how we go - got a 3000k trip planned over Christmas on it and a nearly 1000k trip on Friday week.

Keep you posted if you wish.

Cheers,

Rob.

How did your trip go? Are you still experiencing the noise? I was thinking of taking mine to the dealer this weekend to have them have a listen ( Warranty is up in December) Will let you know if they think its anything out of the norm!

Johnny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links