Hitching to a Toyota Camry
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A good friend just picked up a 04 TW200 and he was able to pick up a trailer hitch as well. I am not sure what the official name of the hitch is because he picked it up on Craigslist but here is a picture of a similar one: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...1002001839.jpg Do you have any idea if I'd be able to put this on a Toyota Camry? I think I may be able to get the hitch attached but I'm not so sure about the car being able to handle 300 extra pounds on the back of the frame. It may be fine but I'm not sure. Anyone in similar situations or have experience with this?
    Being realistic is the most commonly travelled road to mediocrity.

Hidden Content

The Toy could probably carry it; but I don't know if you'll be able to lower your headlight beams enough.

I've looked at hitches for my Solara(2 door Camry), and they are a very specific design.

I'm inclined to say, no.... I put my bike on the back of my small 1/4 ton Ranger. The headlight beam were in the trees and the hitch would drag when I pulled into a gas station. I used that system one time and then purchased a small trailer. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gizmow is correct. You'd be better off with a small trailer.

To test the theory try loading your trunk with 400 pounds of bricks. Th average small car will ride and handle like a beached whale with that much weight aft of the rear axle, whereas a properly loaded small trailer with 2 TW's on it will put as little as 50 pounds on your bumper.

We pull both TW's with a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) using a modified Harbor Freight trailer. Hardly know it's back there and a lot less hassle than loading them in the back of the truck.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Kwizard what do you mean by lower the headlight beams enough? Is it illegal to have them higher than the car?

Gizmow how much did that little trailer run you?
    Being realistic is the most commonly travelled road to mediocrity.

Hidden Content

What he means is that with so much weight in the rear your headlights will be on the sky rather than the road.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    What he means is that with so much weight in the rear your headlights will be on the sky rather than the road.
    think a see-saw with a 300 lb kid on one end.....
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have the same type of transverse hitch carrier as Gerry, but I did have to put airbag lifters on my Tundra right away, the weight is so far behind the tires. I'm not sure you can put airbags on a Camry, and at around $285-300 installed, you are nearly to the price of a second hand trailer.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I got one of those hitch carriers awhle back. They suck! I used it on my truck so the headlight aim wasn't really the problem. Getting the bike on the hitch was a pain in the butt. Too unsteady and made me nervous with it back there. Probably will block your tail/brake lights. Get the small trailer. Much better choice!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Just put a hitch on it and get a small trailer. I think the ol hitch carrier could

Make the yota get very interesting on a downhill braking or any hard braking you would have to so. Plus it would probably be to much weight on the hitch. "need to spread it out" if you do get one well get out the video camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links