Rear shock pre-load
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rear shock pre-load

Is there any way of adjusting the rear pre-load? I don't see the threaded collar and locknuts that are on most larger bikes...
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

no unfortunately the tw doesnt have the spanner nuts like on many other shocks.

Info taken from the TW Wiki Site

http://tw200.wiki-si....php/Suspension

Rear shock adjustment. The stock rear shock affords you 3 pre-load settings. The bottom 'disc' which the shock spring sits upon is held at one of three height positions by a springwire clip. This wire locks into one of three grooves near the shocks base and fixes the bottom disc in that position. The wire is concealed under the lip on the base disc, but you should be able to see the shallow lower groove at the very bottom of the disc.

I believe the factory setting for this springclip is the middle groove. This being the case, if need be you can go to a 'stiffer' setting by repositioning the springclip the one groove highter. Now you will have a shock with a tighter spring and a firmer (rear) ride, but since the spring is compressed more, the bike (rear) will sit slightly lower.

Should you move the springclip to the bottom groove, you reduce the tension on the shock spring and make for a softer ride. A secondary result of a soft adjustment is a relaxed/longer spring (JVT). Since this will raise the rear abit, it may create a new problem for a light person that is just barely able to touch the ground. The above are the factory adjustments.

Should you want to see, and adjust the spring setting on the rear shock, you will want some sort of device/tool to pull 'up' and hold the tension of the shock spring while you remove the bottom springclip and base plate. Springs are under a great deal of tension; USE EXTREME CAUTION AS SERIOUS INJURY IS A REAL POSSIBILITY..

Here is a picture of the preload clip posted by (davedyno) on the old TW site. The clip grooves are about 1/2" apart

williamemack likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Actually it does. But it's hidden, and the adjustments are fairly minimal There are 3 grooves and a clip under the spring collar. If you compress the spring wit a spring compressor you can move the clip to one of 3 positions.

Oops. Happy Holidays from the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I wondered about that myself. I was getting ready to remove the shock on mine and try to lower the seat height a little but it seemed to me that unless eye to eye length is shortened
    the seat will not be any lower. Has anyone done this change and actually documented a difference in seat height?

Quote Originally Posted by jbtardy View Post
    I wondered about that myself. I was getting ready to remove the shock on mine and try to lower the seat height a little but it seemed to me that unless eye to eye length is shortened
    the seat will not be any lower. Has anyone done this change and actually documented a difference in seat height?
    There will not be any static change in seat height with the bike unloaded with a preload adjustment. Any change would be once you are on the bike and it's weighted down a change if any will totally depend on rider weight.

I experimented with this on the tw I own that my girl rides. It made zero difference.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    There will not be any static change in seat height with the bike unloaded with a preload adjustment. Any change would be once you are on the bike and it's weighted down a change if any will totally depend on rider weight.

I experimented with this on the tw I own that my girl rides. It made zero difference.
    Thank you, saves me some work.

Yan
    It made zero difference.
    one size fits most in other words

After thinking about this a little bit more it seems to me that there could be a change in seat height when the bike is loaded, as with rider weight. In contrast to the previous information it
    would seem that by lengthing the spring by lowering the bottom perch and reducing the preload that maybe the 1/2" between the clip grooves could result in 1/2" lower seat height
    when loaded with rider weight. If the static height is unchanged the spring should compress 1/2" before reaching the degree of compression with the clip in the original middle groove.
    Then assuming it compresses the original distance from there that would result in 1/2" greater overall compression and 1/2" less distance eye to eye and 1/2" lower seat when loaded.
    At least it sounds reasonable to me but it only considers the spring. Did you by any chance measure the seat height when your girl was on the bike?

There is no where near 1/2" between the adjustment grooves, more like 3/8" total from the first to the third. The only way this would change the seat height would be with a VERY heavy rider. You will notice a slightly softer or slightly stiffer ride when adjusting one way or the other from the middle position. To change the ride height you will need to either reposition the lower mount of the shock, or change the shock. I believe the v-star shock has been used as a donor for this. If it were me, I would look for a v-star shock. They seam to be available on e-bay reasonably.
    Good luck
    Joemama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links