stripped the drain screw on my TK carb!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    so I stripped the drain screw on my carb. is there another (easy) way to drain my carb?

I've been having trouble starting up in cold weather (in Maine, and I wasn't even able to get it started at all today!) and before I started messing with the idle mixture screw (good idea?) I wanted to drain the carb thinking that maybe I put too much gas in there during my 1001 attempts to start it.

when it's cold it has started with no choke. full and half choke, nothing. today no start no matter what. it's a2012 all stock, serviced 1000 miles ago, has about 2100mi now.

any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated

thanks for your time & expertise!
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Man your gonna have to lube it up and use a bigger screwdriver to get it out. Your just gonna have to take the bowl off to drain it. clean off your sparkplug and gas it soo much

i can't think of what this looks like...i have the older style carb though...like risingsun said hit it with wd40...put a screwdriver to it and and if you can hit the screwdriver with a hammer to shock the bolt...otherwise can you grab the head of it with a pair of pliers? (probably not)...or just take the whole bowl off

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

if I did the quick and dirty carb clean to the point where I forum link loosened the carb & turned it, is there any way I could drain it with out removing the whole bowl? I'm a novice so the less I do to the carb the better I figure

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    if I did the quick and dirty carb clean to the point where I forum link loosened the carb & turned it, is there any way I could drain it with out removing the whole bowl? I'm a novice so the less I do to the carb the better I figure

not that i know of...you may want to look into what your idle mixture screw should be at...i believe 2.5 turns out is stock...you could always spray some starter fluid into the intake to get it started...also make sure you are getting gas...you may have gas in the tank but it may not be high enough to go into the petcock

Why do you think there is too much gas in the carb? How do you think you put too much gas in it? If you are smelling gas you probably just have it flooded. I'd leave the carb alone, dry the spark plug, and let it set for an hour then try again.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

There's only an ounce or so in the bowl. Just take the bowl off. JB Weld the hole. Drill and tap.

thanks all! so tomorrow AM I'm goingt to clean up the air filter & spark plug. is there an easy way to get starter fluid into the intake?or do I have to takenapart th air box to do that? thanks for your time! I want the tdub to be my ride to work all year round, so I really need to get her going consistently in the cold & get this down pat. worst case, I can always just cut a hole (and duct tape it closed later) in the air box and shoot starter fluid in it every day right?

I'd skip the starting fluid, not a good idea. I've seen airboxes blown up, carbs blown off and on one occasion the top blown off a piston. There shouldn't be any reason to use it on a motorcycle.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    I'd skip the starting fluid, not a good idea. I've seen airboxes blown up, carbs blown off and on one occasion the top blown off a piston. There shouldn't be any reason to use it on a motorcycle.

not the best idea but i've used it on mine with no problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links