aerosol lock de-icer safe in tw's ignition?
Close

it's cold, my ignition switch freezes in the morning and won't move. is it safe to shoot that lock de-icer stuff in there? I'm thinking no, because the less foreign stuff in there the better & your typical deicer is apparently butane-based and I don't want to be the idiot who caught his ignition/handlebars/speedometer on fire.

what say ye? the guys I know locally are conflicted. one even said use wd40.

for now I just warm it up using a hand warmer. it's slow. heating up my key is even slower.

thanks for your time & happy new year!
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Can you get a power cord near the unit and use a blow dryer?
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

unfortunately not (well not without leaving a door open).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Then push the bike inside......

You should be fine unless something were to arc, which I don't see happening in the tumbler. But you could always leave the key on and wire a killswitch elsewhere. Then a locked up killswitch will be the problem.

I don't know how much butane those things put out, but butane burns in open air very fast and leaves little residual heat. If it's the only thing to burn off from a stray spark, you'll be fine. If it finds gasoline, the heat would probably be sufficient to ignite that.

cool, thanks for the great info all. i will try the deicer stuff. I would definitely push it inside but then it would be in my kitchen. which would actually be awesome but my wife would kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    cool, thanks for the great info all. i will try the deicer stuff. I would definitely push it inside but then it would be in my kitchen. which would actually be awesome but my wife would kill me.

I have had the same problem lately. I have used an extension cord with a hair dryer and it works in 5 seconds. Get an extension cord.

It continued to happen. So I warmed it up with the hair dryer, took a compressor and blew the moisture out. I got some graphite off Amazon and used it to lubricate the lock and its been MUCH better. It still sticks some when its 15 or 20 out and it sits for 12+ hours, but only a little wiggling and it turns no problem. Before it was freezing up like crazy and there was no budging it.

I don't have a bike cover and it lives outside, so I cover the lock with an old winter hat to keep moisture out when not in use.

I've read DO NOT use wd-40 or even the alcohol based deicers. I'm sure once wont hurt, but if you are having consistent problems like i was you need to get the moisture out and graphite it then somehow keep the moisture out (cover).
    2007 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by jwashkau View Post
    I have had the same problem lately. I have used an extension cord with a hair dryer and it works in 5 seconds. Get an extension cord.

It continued to happen. So I warmed it up with the hair dryer, took a compressor and blew the moisture out. I got some graphite off Amazon and used it to lubricate the lock and its been MUCH better. It still sticks some when its 15 or 20 out and it sits for 12+ hours, but only a little wiggling and it turns no problem. Before it was freezing up like crazy and there was no budging it.

I don't have a bike cover and it lives outside, so I cover the lock with an old winter hat to keep moisture out when not in use.

I've read DO NOT use wd-40 or even the alcohol based deicers. I'm sure once wont hurt, but if you are having consistent problems like i was you need to get the moisture out and graphite it then somehow keep the moisture out (cover).

WD40 is a bad idea for most any application, especially frozen locks. Alcohol de-icer works ok, but use compressed air to blow it out of the lock, and then lube with something like Tri-flow or LPS-1 LPS-2 is OK, LPS-3 is not OK. I am a school district locksmith in anchorage ak.

Sponosred Links