Lights / turn signals not working
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    this is a 1996 model. Replaced all the bulbs, and now the neutral indicator and hand brake light works. Ill assume for the momment the foot brake switch has gone out. The turn indicator light stays lighted. None of the turn signals work. and head light has but one beam. not sure if its hi or low. in looking at the wiring i am seeing a blue wire from both front turn signals that is not connected. I assume these should be , but dont see anything to connect them to. Both are male bullet connectots. In looking i also see a wire nit and some splicig so ill look again and get more details. Im rushed for time now but thought someone may have a few words to guide me..... thanks

Im a little rusty but if I remember correctly the front turn signals are meant to stay on with the stock signal/bulbs. They are the running lights and they have two filaments in them. If you are using aftermarket turn signals you will leave one of the wires off because they usually lack the running light feature and have only one filament. Also, the stock flasher relays tend to go bad but a generic flasher relay is about $5 at autozone and plugs right in.

As for the headlight I think you just replace the bulb (35w), sounds like one of the filaments in it has broken.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

On a '96 your front turn signals also seve as running lights. They should be lit any time the key is on. The rears remain unlit unless the signals are on.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'll double check the flasher relay. The front turn signal lights do not come on at all. I will find a wiring diagram and see what those blueeeeee wires went to.

Fort Payne is right...the front blinkers have 3 wires to each of them (the 3rd is for the running lights)...the rears only have 2...if you need more info check out the wiring diagrams in the manuals

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

Thanks guys...

I took a look at the wiring diagram last night and i saw that the blue wires should connect to blue wires..... 2 into 1. I didnt see the missing female lead. I meant to snag the flasher this morning but forgot. So i guess that will have to wait until tomorrow. Ill check the sticky as well... i thought i had seen that somewhere.

And another question.... Is the headlight bulb motorcycle specific? or should a buld off the shelf at the auto parts store work?

Switched out the turn signal relay and the signals started working. So Thanks for the heads up on that relay, it totally slipped my mind. The running light portion of the front signals still dont work. I looked for a place to plug in those 2 blue male ends, but found nothing empty. What i did find was a blue female that was conncected to a blue male going to the speedo light. I unplugged it and tried each signal and the running light would start working on the respective side. So ill get a few female bullet ends amd make a pigtail and tap them all into that one. Bike was made 7/95 buts its titled as a 96. Dont know if that helps.

I had kind of a similar problem not knowing where to plug the turn signals in a few weeks ago. The guys on this forum helped me get it worked out. The plugs I found were way down in one of the wiring harnesses on the front brake side. You might want to give this thread a look before you go splicing things.
    1993 TW200

l pulled the head light off to get a good look of things. I cut a very cable ties which allowed me to pull the bundled mess out of the black plastic/rubber protective cover. There is no place to plug these into. It seems strange. But the PO must have thought the same, because the 2 blue male wire ends were wrapped in red electrical tape. Not sure where the female end went?

The extra wire comes from the bike right? With no place to plug into the turn signals?
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links