Do I need to drain the oil to change front sprocket?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will I have to drain my oil to pull off my left case to change my sprocket? In the Sprocket Replacement sticky someone mentioned it was not necessary because only a small amount of oil will leak out.

I just want to confirm one way or another before I do this? Sopping up oil puddles can get old.

Thanks

Yes. You'll lose quite a bit if the bike is upright. If you can lay it down or lean it way to the right it can be done, but not very practical. I've done it in the field. Needs to be leaned about this much:

Let it sit there to drain into the crankcase for as long as possible before cracking the cover and there won't be much mess. Frankly if you're at home I find it's a bunch easier to just drain the oil and work on it upright or even leaned slightly left. You're bound to get some doodoo in there if the gasket doesn't come off in one piece.

Break the sprocket retaining bolts loose with the bike in gear, the rear wheel on the ground and the chain still hooked up if your sprocket is that type. If they're stubborn to remove that will keep the countershaft from turning as you try to unscrew them.

RE: the gasket. Loosen all the bolts a few threads and bounce a rubber mallet lightly on the cover until everything rings hollow. Then back the bolts off some more until you get just enough daylight to tell that the gasket is loose all the way around. If not, bounce it with your mallet, eyeball it again. Usually you can get it off in one piece and reuse it if you never allow it to tear. (The same also applies to the valve cover and oil cover o-rings. If the covers are stubborn, don't force them. Loosen the bolts slightly and bounce them a few whacks and you'll probably spare the o-rings).

When you reinstall it or replace it put a barely visible film of RTV on the gasket surfaces of the COVER only. The gasket will be more likely to come off with the cover in one pice next time and less likely to tear. If you can, do the mallet drill anytime you remove the cover thereafter and you may get a few reuses out of the gasket.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I never have drained the oil and don't understand people who do. I've changed clutch plates as well by doing what Liz says - just lean the bike over. Even if a little drips out just top it up. You do lose more oil on a TW than most because of the sprocket support bearing feed tho.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

just wait till you do have to change the oil...i found it easier to do upright

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    When you reinstall it or replace it put a barely visible film of RTV on the gasket surfaces of the COVER only. The gasket will be more likely to come off with the cover in one pice next time and less likely to tear. If you can, do the mallet drill anytime you remove the cover thereafter and you may get a few reuses out of the gasket.

be wary about the amount of RTV used...i used too much...after seeing the photo i pulled it back apart and scraped all the RTV off and put a fresh gasket in, now i have a small oil leak, nothing major though...the below info is from my bike thread in my signature...

used a high-temp gasket seal to put the case back on cause it prevented the gasket from shifting when putting it back on...probably make a mess if i ever have to crack it open again, but whatever...the bolts from the bolt kit worked great...used blue loctite on each one...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=526939_0_0_

anyone familiar with this issue with RTV gasket seal?

from another forum...

I'm not totally familiar with the TW motor . But I am with RTV . If there is oil circulating under the left motor cover , you'll want to remove the cover and get the RTV out immediately . Oil can turn RTV into snot like stuff that breaks off and plug oil passages , rendering them useless . It doesn't take long for an engine with little or no oil movement to become a bit of a problem .

Definitely check the oil strainer on the left side as well as the filter .

This is what it looks like in a 1000cc oil pan :

I can vouch for that!!! It killed a 1980 kawasaki kz750 I had. The previous owner used that stuff on one of the side covers and turns out that junk balls up and gives the engine a heart attack. You never want to hear that screech. I threw the only tube I had of that stuff out after that. The ONLY good thing that came out of that crap is that I traded the dead kz750 for my Tdub. I would never use that junk, ever.

The girl I traded with thought "what good will this guy ever get out of that crappy little dirt bike?"....best trade ever!
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Note that I said "barely visible film". If you got bad vision, don't use sealants.

A tube of RTV lasts me a lifetime.

There's nothing wrong with RTV or any other sealant used PROPERLY. The pics above are blatant examples of improper use.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Different strokes for different folks. The last time I used a new gasket was 3 or 4 cover "removeings" ago. I cleaned the engine side very well with spray carb cleaner on a paper towel. I placed the new gasket on the engine -- held in place with the dowel pins. I then put a thin film of white grease on the cover side and bolted it back together. When I remove the cover now the gasket sticks to the engine and cleanly separates from the cover. When I reassemble I re-grease the cover side. I have reused the gasket at least 3 or 4 times and plan on using it indefinitely! BTW, not a leak anywhere.

I also use a rubber mallet to loosen it as lzrdbrth described.

And just change the oil when you do it. No harm in changing the oil to soon.

I used hex head bolts (and Blue Loctite) instead of Allen bolts. Different strokes............

Long live the internal combustion engine!

You're correct, Tony. Anything that makes a gasket favor one side of its mating surfaces over another ensures that it won't tear upon removal. Not to be condescending, but I think a lot of us old farts may be more accustomed to the little tricks to working with paper gaskets because virtually everything had them back in the day.

Marketing aside, on a gasketed surface sealants are NOT to be used as gasket substitutes or fillers for half-destroyed gaskets. Think of them as low-grade glues and apply only enough to make the gasket favor that side on removal. Greasing one side as Tony does is another excellent way of dealing with it. Doing both is even better.

Colored sealants such as orange or blue RTV or yellow rubber cements are a great way to learn how to gauge how much is enough. Within reason if you can see strong color after the parts have been assembled and the gaskets compressed, you've used too much. The excess will eventually break free on the inside, potentially finding a home in an oil passage.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Note that I said "barely visible film". If you got bad vision, don't use sealants.

A tube of RTV lasts me a lifetime.

There's nothing wrong with RTV or any other sealant used PROPERLY. The pics above are blatant examples of improper use.

exactly...i put way too much on the first time i tried it...then i saw the damage it can do...it may be high temp but i guess it's not chemical resistant...didn't know that...live and learn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links