Engine noise
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 6 Post By Jim Boggs

Thread: Engine noise

Engine noise

https://youtu.be/GWUtHU7DJ6Q

Got the bike with 350 miles. It did not make this sound.

I changed the oil at 410 miles just to be on the safe side as I did not know when the previous owner changed it last, if they did at all.

Now it makes this noise once it gets warmed up. I checked the valves and made sure the intake was at 0.03 and the exhaust is at 0.05.

The cam chain seems tight. Tensioner seems like it's working.

Any help?

Very well done and helpful video. Everyone should be so informative when seeking a diagnosis.
    Sound spike at 19 second point and elsewhere sounds like it is centered around intake valve despite the reported recent correct valve lash confirmation.
    Sure you couldn't slip a .04, .05, or larger feeler gauge in before excessive drag is felt?
    Damage to very tip of adjuster screw and/or valve itself can cause erratic valve lash and/or valve lash measurements thereof. If you open things up again maybe pay attention to the point of contact between valve stem and adjuster screw.
    Did the oil change include a correct new filter and then was oil flow through the head confirmed via the bleed bolt as per manual instructions?
    T
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I think Fred hit on something! Sounds like the top end might not be getting enough oil. Don't run it again until you have confirmed that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As far as I can tell, there is no visable damage to the valve or the valve adjustment screw. It looks like new.

When I made the adjustment, I could not fit anything above 0.03 on the intake side.

When I preformed the oil change, I used the oil filter in the attached image. I let the bike run for a couple of minutes, then checked the oil level and rode it around the yard for about 10 to 15 minutes. When I came to a stop I noticed the sound and shut the bike off and brought it into the garage.

I started it back up and checked the bleed bolt. I backed it out maybe two full turns or so and gave it a wiggle and oil came out.

I've been really paranoid about riding it and possibly damaging something but I have ridden it around my yard and have gone about 7 miles. The sound has not gotten better or worse.

Sounds great when you initially start it up, once it comes up to temp, the sound slowly creeps in.

I have since, very thoroughly cleaned the original filter, it really wasn't that bad to begin with, and put it back in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since putting the original oem filter back in, there is no change to the noise.

Assuming there was at some point a lack of oil to the top end because of the filter I used, what kind or damage should I expect?

To start with – your picture appears to be of a cardboard box, not an oil filter

Secondary – if the one you replaced it with looks the same – you’re good. Not the box of course, but you get the idea

Lastly, if you were getting oil from the bleed screw, you’re good – if you have since put the original filter in (and still getting oil from the bleed screw), you’re golden

The basics are that even if you use the wrong oil filter, but catch that mistake in less than a mile of riding, it’s very unlikely you have done any harm to your engine. But, as above, it’s the filter that counts, not the box it comes in

The rule with oil filters on the TW, is always re-use the one you know is good. Other than that, it has to be visual – 4 holes against the engine side

TW200-oil-filter-correct-incorrect-Old-Towd.JPG
    admiral likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Correct filter means there should be no worries about the top end lubrication, sorry to cause you concern.
    Same for confirming valve lash details, description sounds normal and correct.
    I assume suitable motorcycle oil was put in.
    Sorry, nothing else seems to suggest a likely source of the anomalous noise to me.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

According to the intake clearance value you have given, your valve adjustment is way off. You should have .05-.09 mm or .002"-.004" on your intake valve. If you're actually measuring .03 inches (that's .030"), your gap is 10 times too big. If you're measuring .03 mm, you're gap is too small. Verify that your decimal place is correct and that you're using a consistent measuring system (millimeters or inches).
    Badgerflorida, philo, Fred and 3 others like this.

Sponosred Links