Question on Aftermarket Carbs
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question on Aftermarket Carbs

Question on Aftermarket Carbs

We'll I managed to kill my carb by letting the bike sit for 6+ months with gas in the lines over this last summer. I know ...... stupid. I've pulled the carburetor off the bike three times trying to resurrect it to no avail. Its leaking gas now and when I look online for a "rebuild" kit the cost is comparable with the $40 to $60 dollar Chinese complete carburetors that I'm seeing on Amazon and E Bay. Have any of you direct experience in using these aftermarket complete carburetors? For the price it seems like a no brainer for the cost to try one. Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance. Steve

If you read some of the numerous threads regarding these carburetors you will see that there is more required expenses for the conversion than just the carb. New throttle assembly with start/kill buttons, throttle cable, modified carb manifolding, possible jetting issues, etc should be planned for. Use SEARCH feature to learn details.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoro View Post
    We'll I managed to kill my carb by letting the bike sit for 6+ months with gas in the lines over this last summer. I know ...... stupid. I've pulled the carburetor off the bike three times trying to resurrect it to no avail. Its leaking gas now and when I look online for a "rebuild" kit the cost is comparable with the $40 to $60 dollar Chinese complete carburetors that I'm seeing on Amazon and E Bay. Have any of you direct experience in using these aftermarket complete carburetors? For the price it seems like a no brainer for the cost to try one. Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance. Steve
    Search my posts to get the details about the one I used. I bought mine, refitted it with my jets, used their needle (with grooves!) and adapted their cable bracket to use my cable. So far it has been the best Mod I've done.

The carb is as an exact duplication of the stocker as possible. Even unused casting marks are there. I think someone with patience (not me!) could figure out how to swap the throttle bracket without damaging the new carb. I resorted to bending the new bracket to work.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Peterb likes this.
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks BuddyMack for the quick response. In looking at your past posts it looks like you got our carb from Zoom Parts. Is that correct?

Thanks BuddyMack for the quick response. In looking at your past posts it looks like you got our carb from Zoom Parts. Is that correct?
    Yep, just found them on eBay. Works really well too.

Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

If you’re replacing an old style (pre 2001) with the TK clone you’ll definitely need a new boot for the intake side. I was able to reuse the boot on the engine side. I got mine on Amazon for 34 bucks with free two day shipping for my 89. The hardest part was getting the old intake boot out of the airbox. Throttle cable routing was fiddly but worked out great. I didn’t need to run new cables. I’ve run about 300 miles with it and it works real nice. It burps a bit as your coming off throttle. I still need to play with the air/fuel mixture screw. I think it was set at 3 turns out on delivery and I set it to 2.5 before I installed it.

Best 34 bucks I’ve spent in a long time. My choke was stuck closed after gas sat for 5 years. I’m sure I’ll use parts off the old one from time to time for my 96.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Zoom Zoom went onto my 2002 with 33k miles, so new style to new style.

IMO,if you buy a rebuild kit and a float and super-clean(clean,degrease and/or ultra-sonic clean) the rest of the carb it's like you have a brand new oem carb,better than a clone and at about the same price.

NOT DEAD! I suspect you may have paralyzed but did not Kill your carb. This is where the fun begins and if you source the correct rebuild parts and completely dismantle and clean the body you should be able to get the stock carb back to good as new. Face a few facts in this process. If the carb was working fine before being improperly stored the chances are there is no need to be replacing the jets and most other brass parts, just clean them good. Under the tab of the float you will find a needle valve and seat and under that there is a very fine screen which is the usual suspect. Replace that and be absolutely careful when removing the pin holding the float. There is an arrow on the bottom of one of the posts pointing the direction to push the pin out. These carbs are fairly basic and if you pay attention while taking it apart and carefully reassemble it it should be fine. Search for threads by JBfla who has shown numerous photos and practically rebuilt these carbs in his threads for us. Barrymans carb cleaner comes in 1 gallon paint cans at the auto store. Remove everything from the body and drop the body in the can and leave it there to soak for a few days. Soak the brass parts in a separate bowl as well. Do Not soak any plastic or rubber parts or O rings. Blow it out with compressed air making sure it is dry and the air went through all the tiny orifices. You can also poke thin wires through some of them. I doubt, if the carb was working there is anything wrong with the main jet or needle unless you can see visible corrosion on or in it after it has soaked.
    You should completely clean the fuel tank and the petcock while the carb soaks.

GaryL
    jtstdub likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

As Gary says the fine mesh screen above the float valve's seat can get clogged. Clogging frequency seems related to ethanol content and time the fuel mix sits in the tank.
    One can delete this screen and replace it with an inline fuel filter external to the carb in order to maintain some secondary fuel filtration in addition to the petcock filters. An external secondary filter is also very much easier to inspect and replace when necessary. Plus it's additional surface area is more tolerant of gummy deposit build-ups thus reducing frequency of fuel flow issues.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links