no compression.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: no compression.

no compression.

installed an engine with a kickstart I bought off ebay years back and it seems to have low or no compression. what am I looking at in terms of what's wrong and what needs to be done. the engine has sat unused for at least five years indoors

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
    Badgerflorida likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    installed an engine with a kickstart I bought off ebay years back and it seems to have low or no compression. what am I looking at in terms of what's wrong and what needs to be done. the engine has sat unused for at least five years indoors

I think you have a valve that's stuck open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Badgerflorida and jtstdub like this.

No muy Bueno....if it needs a complete rebuild, that used to cost about $800.....hoping for something minor....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

yup, i would check that the valves are moving first. pull the valve covers is the easiest place to start
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

so if the valves arent moving how would I proceed? is there some way to unstuck them or do I need to start eeplacing things? this is new territory for me.

I should note this is à pre 2000 engine and I have a parts engine from a 2007 bike that I can use as à donor
    Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    yup, i would check that the valves are moving first. pull the valve covers is the easiest place to start

The usual cause of a stuck valve (in your case) is corrosion of the valve stem. A simple spray of penetrating oil may well cure this, from the top. If you can get the valve to release like this, follow up with something a bit heavier, like 3 in 1 — do not attempt to start the engine, just keep applying oil until you can crank it by hand (or foot) to prove that the valve action is free

All you’re trying to do is dislodge the rust on the stem. At this point, assuming some success, you can go on to starting the engine — the moment it fires up, shut it down — more oil onto the stem — rinse and repeat

The downside to trying this without taking it apart, is that once you have the stem moving, it might let too much oil past. We call this “overhead sump syndrome” — but you might get lucky. A simple compression test will reveal all you need to know

As long as you don’t run the engine for longer than a few seconds, it can’t hurt to find out …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    so if the valves arent moving how would I proceed? is there some way to unstuck them or do I need to start eeplacing things? this is new territory for me.

I should note this is à pre 2000 engine and I have a parts engine from a 2007 bike that I can use as à donor

If you have a complete 2007 head just swap it over.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

OK so bumping this up. The valves are moving fine so it seems like it might just need rings or a new piston? How many hours would you estimate to do this and do i need to remove the engine to do this?

A valve still may not seat completely or even the valve seat could be bad too. A friend of mine bought a Honda XR a few yrs back with no compression. The valves moved, but nothing. We found a bent valve from someone over revving it. Replaced the valve and everything was A-ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Purple likes this.

Before getting too excited, put some ATF down the spark plug hole, like two tablespoons. Crank over and let set a little. You can take off the little adjustment covers and check valves. I’d adjust whilst there. See how much compression comes up. Maybe sufficient to start. Rings can stick from sitting too much. Might fire up an clear up. Unlikely however. I find it’s easier for major work to pull the unit. But I’m old an can’t see that good plus my back won’t let bend over too much. At least put the bike up high like on a drum or low table. Highly advise download manual, directions really help.
    Go man go
    Tonto
    admiral, Mel and jonnyquest like this.
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 V Star 1100
    lost count on TWs, 3?
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links