top off these batteries or what?
Close

Do we top off these Yuasa brand batteries with water or what? I searched the internet far and wide for the answer to this battery question to no avail. I've got an '07 with stock battery with the 6 yellow removable caps covering each cell. I'm sure we keep these leveled off right? I already added to equal them all up anyhow so... if not then what? Anyway, there's just a red line on the side of the battery and it doesn't say anything like "fill line" or anything, I assumed it was a fill line and filled all cells up to just under that line. How in the vast interwebs is there no info available for this battery maintenance info?

Thanks yall

The red line is a fill line. You want the fluid level above the plates for best performance.

Distilled water is best. Tap water has chemicals that disrupt the batteries ability to hold a charge.

The acids normally stay in the battery, it's usually just the water that evaporates off.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

.....and keep an eye on it too.

I think I cut the life of my original battery because I let it get low on water a couple times. My battery lasted 4.5 years before I replaced it and yours is older the that

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    Distilled water is best. Tap water has chemicals that disrupt the batteries ability to hold a charge.

Yup... distilled water is $1/gallon at my local supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by cptrout View Post
    .....and keep an eye on it too.

I think I cut the life of my original battery because I let it get low on water a couple times. My battery lasted 4.5 years before I replaced it and yours is older the that

4.5 years?!? Wow, that's a really good life for a motorcycle battery! Many only go 2-3 years. That's one of the several reasons I went to an AGM...only time will tell if it goes past 5 years....almost three now and no problems.

Keeping a standard lead acid type topped up and on a Battery Tender Jr. when not in constant use will give it the best possible lifetime.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks guys, I had looked at it in the past and it's always stayed basically full. I just started riding offroad seriously last year with my son and noticed it 9 f 01xz0

=/

Oops, started cleaning my keyboard in the middle of the reply. Ignore the above post.

Thanks guys, I had looked at it in the past and it's always stayed basically full. I just started riding offroad seriously last year with my son and noticed it only yesterday to be very low in a few cells. Grabbed a gallon of distilled and topped em all off last night, probably caught it too late though, I bet it don't last much longer now.

good post, I was going to do it myself as a reminder to those of us who are in mid-winter. most of these batteries are transluscent, so you can see the water level, plus they have the marks. TW battery is so small it's easy to remove for charging and service. helps to have it level to add water. I use a small plastic bottle with a 90deg 'pipette' end.
    2005 Tdub

Quote Originally Posted by Tuber View Post
    good post, I was going to do it myself as a reminder to those of us who are in mid-winter. most of these batteries are transluscent, so you can see the water level, plus they have the marks. TW battery is so small it's easy to remove for charging and service. helps to have it level to add water. I use a small plastic bottle with a 90deg 'pipette' end.

I used one of my dope needles to fill each cell.

Sponosred Links