Cylinder head side cover o ring change help! And a little hard starting lately. Also
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cylinder head side cover o ring change help! And a little hard starting lately. Also

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Cylinder head side cover o ring change help! And a little hard starting lately. Also

Ok so my valve cover o rings started leaking around a month or two ago and the mech who rebuilt the engine felt that he should have swapped them so he did it for free.

This time though my cylinder head side cover o ring has a slight leak. I don’t feel like he tampered with it and could bring it to him and he might even order and do this one too, but I am kinda wanting to do it my self. Really it’s a 12 year old bike so i am expecting things to go on it often.

* My question is will I need to drain the oil to be able to change this o ring or is it low enough that oil only reaches it when the bike is running? Is there anything else to replace when swapping in the new ring?

* Another question is that the bike has been a little hard starting lately. Ya I know it’s old and carbureted and Hawai’i is a fvkin humid place. But it was firing first time no choke nearly every time after it was rebuilt. I put a little seafoam in with a fresh tank and ran it around and up to highway speed. Maybe it was from sitting for a week while I was out with an aggravated back? I did run it mid way through and it was really hard to start. Now that it’s ridden daily first start can still take a while even when fully choked. It always eventually starts but it seems like a warning ⚠️ to get to before long. I am going to ask the mechanic if he adjusted timing when he did the valve o rings because I know that can help with starting.

* Connected with the hard starting is possibly the spark plug? Which I’d like to replace and possibly upgrade anyway. What do you all recommend I am looking at the plugs with three tips as I like the idea of balance but wonder if it’s overkill?

1) Timing cover's O-ring may be replaced without draining oil. Like the valve covers the oil seal is accomplished via squeezing the O-rings rather than strong compression of cover itself to head via overtightening of the cover bolts. So replace o-rings when they look deformed ( no longer round in cross section) and use minimal torque when re-tightening bolts.

2) Timing really can't be "adjusted", it can just get screwed up so that the bike won't run. One, and only one, correct timing sprocket tooth-to-timing chain-to crankshaft gear position exists. This is very, very easy to check. If you have not purchased, or downloaded the free TW Service Manual you should do so; then read and perform some of this simple diagnostic and maintenance tasks yourself. No need to wait for, or pay for a mechanic to do basic inspection, adjustments and maintenance.

3) I will be so jealous of the Waimea Ride. Where will you be starting out from? Waimea.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 11-02-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    1) Timing cover's O-ring may be replaced without draining oil. Like the valve covers the oil seal is accomplished via squeezing the O-rings rather than strong compression of cover itself to head via overtightening of the cover bolts. So replace o-rings when they look deformed ( no longer round in cross section) and use minimal torque when re-tightening bolts.

2) Timing really can't be "adjusted", it can just get screwed up so that the bike won't run. One, and only one, correct timing sprocket tooth-to-timing chain-to crankshaft gear position exists. This is very, very easy to check. If you have not purchased, or downloaded the free TW Service Manual you should do so; then read and perform some of this simple diagnostic and maintenance tasks yourself. No need to wait for, or pay for a mechanic to do basic inspection, adjustments and maintenance.

3) I will be so jealous of the Waimea Ride. Where will you be starting out from? Waimea.jpg
    Thank you for the info

Someone answered my question about the side cover o ring part 13 no need to drain oil thankfully

Just need to know about best replacement spark plug.

When we go Waimea we start out from Kilauea on the North Shore and ride all the way down and around maybe an hour plus 10mins to bottom of canyon road. There are two ways up and or down which is fun. For the most part the pavement is amazing and if you get an open section with no touristas it’s un real riding. And that’s just on pavement. Once up top there’s miles of trails and hunting roads from wide and mellow to death defying. (I literally nearly died once from coming around a corner blind and ending up on the most steep loose and washed out section. Wiped out on my knee then went flying and nearly blacked out. The issue being that you’re in the middle of nowhere and there’s no reception and few folks around to help. My buddy managed to get our bikes safely standing and amazingly some hunters came crawling up the trail 4x and one guy helped push the bikes from behind while my buddy rode them out of hell haha. They toted me up to a level zone and with a make shift compression wrap on the knee we were able to ride out of there and down to the er. Reckon the helmet saved my life as my head definitely bounced &#x1f635

For the most part it’s good fun but in shituations like that you learn a lot!

My biggest fear is being deep in the woods and the bike dying. This actually happened once miles into the muddy hills of Anahola on the eastside. We were puttering along and I stalled the bike one too many times working through mud holes. It wouldn’t fire for anything. Thankfully after letting it cool for 20 or so and starting it in neutral it got running after a few attempts. Didn’t want to think about pushing and pulling it miles back to the dirt road where we could get it with a truck. Not to mention having to leave it where someone might decide they wanted it enough to take it home 😑
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I always thought Kauai would be good for trail biking and not just for honeymooners.
    The islands greasy volcanic muds and root-rich trails make me think an ATV tire, or a trials bike, would be nice. ( This trail is on Oahu but you get the idea...wet roots)mud3.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 11-03-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I always thought Kauai would be good for trail biking and not just for honeymooners.
    The islands greasy volcanic muds and root-rich trails make me think an ATV tire, or a trials bike, would be nice. ( This trail is on Oahu but you get the idea...wet roots)mud3.jpg
    Fred check out videos in the hare and the hound kauai. Possibly the most insane riding. Predominantly lean 2stroke trail bikes and trials bikes with a few 4strokes.

They call the dirt/mud here Hawaiian ice. One kind is when it’s wet it’s so slippery with the clay mixed in it. The other kind when it’s dry. It dries into tiny pieces like small to very small ball bearings that will roll underfoot sending you down quick just when walking. I have been rolling down a muddy hill and had the back end swing full 180 for no apparent reason and likewise the same happened going up a hill... ya figure that one out haha. Even with lowered tp maybe i shoulda gone real low like 10?

I prefer the beach riding as the sand is a little more predictable and miss the fun riding in the sandy soils of Florida.

Thanks Soulprogression.
    I love abusing rent-a-cars in the islands. Maybe I should rent a bike next time...with the insurance.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Finally got the parts new o ring and two new dr8ea plugs. Popped in the plug it was pregapped around 0.24 and ran fine.

Pulled the side cover and discovered a couple things. First there was some interesting hardened sealant looking substance all around the oring slot so that took a bit of cleaning.

I also noticed that the cam sprocket appeared to be slightly cracked in a few places see the attached pictures.

As I figured by now fix one thing and get ready to fix the next thing....

I decided to wait to check timing till I replace the cam sprocket. I also plan to ask the mechanic if he replaced the sprocket when he changed the cam and chain....

Hello,
    Change the sprocket of the camshaft before having a problem.
    The pinion was heated (temperature rise) after tightening the camshaft .. ?

0DDFE2EE-848E-445D-8F59-F141DD158361_1543020893292.jpeg
    Darth likes this.

If ya can't bust your ass on these roots, ya can't bust it anywhere!

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by christddel View Post
    Hello,
    Change the sprocket of the camshaft before having a problem.
    The pinion was heated (temperature rise) after tightening the camshaft .. ?

0DDFE2EE-848E-445D-8F59-F141DD158361_1543020893292.jpeg
    Do the circles that sucked in on the left do so under high heat?

My guess is it occurred when the engine seized due to having the wrong oil filter installed by mechanic. The wrong filter doesn’t allow oil to reach top of engine so it probably overheated and dried out the rubber causing it to crack. Next project replace cam gear and adjust timing.

Oh btw I found out why it was hard starting. One day it wouldn’t start at all with power to lighths etc. so after eating it and dropping the bike trying to clutch start on what I discovered to be a very slippery road. I was determined to fix the problem and pulled the switch apart. Not only was there a spider living inside. The contacts had corroded. A little sanding and contact cleaner and she starts first time every time again.

Note to swlf and others when switch fails check for spiders 🕷️ haha 😆
    admiral likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links