Alignment?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chip

Thread: Alignment?

Alignment?

So I hit a curb pretty hard the other day that sent me and the bike on the ground I thought we both left without a scratch until I got back on it and started riding to notice the wheel was crooked so in order to ride straight I have to slightly turn left its almost unnoticeable til you ride. I know there's a simple way to fix this being the handy man I am instead of going to pay somebody but i cant put my finger on it....anybody?

If lucky forks are simply twisted in their respective clamps. If this seems likely then loosen top and bottom clamps, sqweeze front tire imobile between legs and twist handlebars left and right until alignment looks correct. If top tube have slid down in triple clamps during this they can now be re-clamped in preferred location. Tighten and test ride being carefully observant.
    This assumes neither fork tubes nor handlebars were also bent.
    Forks can be inspected by sighting along a straightedge held against one half of fork assembly and seeing if other half appears co-axial.
    Bent handlebars tend to look and feel obviously wrong.
    I bet you can diagnose and solve this yourself.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by gosiris420 View Post
    So I hit a curb pretty hard the other day that sent me and the bike on the ground I thought we both left without a scratch until I got back on it and started riding to notice the wheel was crooked so in order to ride straight I have to slightly turn left its almost unnoticeable til you ride. I know there's a simple way to fix this being the handy man I am instead of going to pay somebody but i cant put my finger on it....anybody?
    I think my forks got twisted on my XT200 so I looked up some fork straightening video's. You may want to search for more videos but here are a few too get you started. There is a slight difference between the first video and last two videos. You'll notice the procedure difference after watching them.

The one thing I got out of the videos was a mistake I was about to make by loosening the top triple tree pinch bolts. In all 3 videos they either don't mention them or tell you to keep the top pinch bolts tight.

These should get you pointed in the right direction.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I wedged the front wheel between two immovable objects and then twisted the handlebars until I was happy. I didn't loosen anything. You might have to lean into it a bit. Give it a try. It worked for me.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Also raise the front wheel off the ground and spin it. If it’s wonky/wobbly you need to address it. Spoke adjustments might help if it’s not real bad.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

I've always used the closest tree. Put the wheel up against the trunk and apply force needed.
    elime and Purple like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Sponosred Links