47T Stock sprocket ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 47T Stock sprocket ?

47T Stock sprocket ?

Has anyone ever seen a TW200 come stock with a 47T rear sprocket? I have the original and it is a 47 tooth. The TW200 is a 2014... The guy I bought it from replaced the rear with a 44 tooth. Goes very good on the highway but not some much on the trails. i am thinking of going to a 54 tooth for strictly offroad and sand riding. What do y'all think about that?

No, I have never seen a TW that came with a stock 47T rear sprocket.

If you will be using this bike strictly for off road riding, do not be afraid of going even larger than 54T (of course you will likely need a longer chain). For your reference, the pic below shows 47T, 55T and 66T sprockets.

IMG_1129.JPG

El Capitan...
    Just verified what I already knew...my 2014 has a 50t. original sprocket.
    Must be some kind of switcheroo?
    There is a ton of info on here on TW gearing. Just search for "gearing or sprockets" and note all the links at the bottom of the page to related posts.

By the way, thank you very much for your service as a Fire Captain...one of my Heroes!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

front sprockets are available in 11 to 16 tooth and all can be used with no change in chain lengths and all gear ratios can be achieved using the front sprockets
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Honestly, I really can't tell the difference between the 50 and 55 tooth sprockets. Performance wise, using the highly tuned butt dyno, they are almost/virtually identical.

That being written, I went with the 55t sprocket if for no other reason than the "placebo affect" and have found the 55t sprocket to be well worth the conversion.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

My Mentor used to say it was best to go big on sprocket size, no matter which end. "The tighter the bend in the chain, the greater the wear" being the guiding principle. I've never gone wrong with this principle. But chain wear might not be of concern to some.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    My Mentor used to say it was best to go big on sprocket size, no matter which end. "The tighter the bend in the chain, the greater the wear" being the guiding principle. I've never gone wrong with this principle. But chain wear might not be of concern to some.
    I have used a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket since day one on two TWs. I got 11,000 miles on that first sprocket and now expect about the same on the new TW. However, I would never recommend anything less, for exactly the same reasons. It could be that I may have less chain life, but I got 16,000 miles on that first O-ring chain. Since the 13/50 setup is perfect for me, I think the trade off is worth it.

EDIT: I should note that at some point, maybe even 12 teeth, the side plates will start to wear the shaft, not good! Also, I sold that 2010 TW at 16,000 miles and the O-ring chain was still in good shape....it may go 25,000 miles, for all I know.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 11-22-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added some thoughts
    PlacerLode likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

the ol tighter circle chain wear myth lol

I once told that to my mentor and he bitch slapped me off my bar stool and I've never even been in a bar lol

chains are actually designed to "bend" around sprockets and a few thousandths of a degree is not a significant wear factor as much as environmental exposures to abrasives, acids or corrosives etc

and we aren't talking about a $2000 titanium chain it's a TW chain costing less than a trip to Taco Smell for the family

one could also argue longer chain equals more links to wear and or fail. more weight to carry.......................................

first time I looked at a sprocket chart it became obvious out little wonder bikes can achieve any desired ratio using only the front sprocket and all using the OEM chain length and all changes therefore can be made trail side in a pinch and yes that includes monster ATV tire ratios

Oh and lets remember we are talking about 16hp TW's not Elmer Tretts Nitro Funny Bike
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 11-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Ken likes this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Honestly, I really can't tell the difference between the 50 and 55 tooth sprockets. Performance wise, using the highly tuned butt dyno, they are almost/virtually identical.

That being written, I went with the 55t sprocket if for no other reason than the "placebo affect" and have found the 55t sprocket to be well worth the conversion.
    lmao the placebo effect I love it but I think it happened to me when I went from 14 to 15 front and finally to 16 - 50 other than first gear starts it didn't seem like a big difference

Hidden Content

It is more than a placebo effect. Going from a 14 to 15 front sprocket drops about 500 RPM at 50 mph. I know I can feel a 500 RPM difference and I bet you can too.
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 11-22-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links