The 2 speed T-Dub...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The 2 speed T-Dub...

The 2 speed T-Dub...

So awhile back I had commented on another post about my 5th gear starting to make noise. And I found metal in the filter that was a bit more than normal. Changed the oil and took it to work a couple times and then parked the TW for now until I could deal with it.
    Well I was down a vehicle yesterday and had to get to work. Figured one more run to work should not make too much difference and hopped on the TW. Warmed it up, got up the driveway and out on to the road. Start going through the gears and go for third........ still in second, tired a few times. No more gears above 2nd gear. No extra neutrals. Just a two speed, lever wont even go up after second.

Looks like it is warranty time. It is a 2017 that I bought new back in August of 17 and I have just under 19,000 miles on it (I rode it almost every day until the noise started). Good thing I bought the 3 year warranty.
    I love the TW, it fits my needs very well, I don't like to ride super fast, but I do like to tractor up into difficult spots loaded with camp gear, especially in the snow. I hope I don't have to go through this every year. Might have to buy a cheap 250 street bike or something for commuting to save the wear on it (Got hooked on the 60+ mpg over the 20 mpg of my truck).
    Sucks that moto snow camping season is starting around here and I'll be without it for however long the dealer has to have it.
    Ken and Gulfrider like this.
    2017 TW200 "Lagann"
    Cycle Racks Rack, Clarke XT350 4 gal tank, Rox 2" bar risers, 12v power port, Ram GPS mount, Coleman seat cover, Wolfman tank bag, HF "Pelican" style case attached to rack, LED headlight bulb, LED spot lights on the forks wired to the high beams, lots of mud caked on.
    Future mods: Ricochet skidplate, ATV tire for snow next winter, maybe a ManRacks front rack over the headlight.

The shift lever isn't loose on the shaft is it? Or tightened too far inward on the splines? (and it's getting stopped by the cover itself?)
    Last edited by littletommy; 11-22-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added note
    philo, Ken and Fred like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Good thinking LT, checking that the shift lever has full motion without hitting anything is always a good first step. I have bent my shifter so that it hits the skid plate replicating CatFlap's reported symptoms ( i.e. not upshifting but no false neutrals or grinding) .
    If bike passes this quick 5 minute inspection then time to make an appointment with the dealer and enjoy benefits of that 3 year warranty. 19,000 miles in 15 months in Oregon is pretty dedicated use, impressive.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It may be bad shift forks or shift drum too. But if you have warranty, it doesn't really matter what it is. As long as it wasn't caused by you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    CatFlap, Ken and littletommy like this.

Wow that’s a lot of miles. Good for you. Smart to get the longer warranty if you’re riding that much. Hope you get it fixed soon. Let us know what they find when they repair it.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Ken
    I have high mileage on my 1993. The only shifter issue was the set screw came lose and didn't allow the shifter to move completely.
    littletommy likes this.

Yeah I looked at it again and by hand the shifter moves all the way up. Tight on the shaft, nothing really loose other than it sounds like something is knocking about in the case. Something came loose inside. Needed a rebuild anyway to fix the 5th gear that has gotten loud.
    Going to try and get it into the dealer next week.
    littletommy, Fred and arbolmano like this.
    2017 TW200 "Lagann"
    Cycle Racks Rack, Clarke XT350 4 gal tank, Rox 2" bar risers, 12v power port, Ram GPS mount, Coleman seat cover, Wolfman tank bag, HF "Pelican" style case attached to rack, LED headlight bulb, LED spot lights on the forks wired to the high beams, lots of mud caked on.
    Future mods: Ricochet skidplate, ATV tire for snow next winter, maybe a ManRacks front rack over the headlight.

Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I and I am sure others will love to hear how your "Extended Warranty" handles the issue. From experiences I have had, most and particularly the after market-Non Yamaha warranties are not worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. They normally try to find any reason under the sun as to why what is broken is NOT covered. The fine print none of us ever read clearly discounts so many parts and for so many reasons it is a joke. We sold them at my dealership from a few different companies and made lots of money along with lots of very unsatisfied customers when things did brake. Best of luck but do come back and tell us how you make out.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Maybe Dealer can loan, or rent you a loaner from their used bike lot during the repair period. Worth asking since nothing ventured,nothing gained.
    littletommy and CatFlap like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I and I am sure others will love to hear how your "Extended Warranty" handles the issue. From experiences I have had, most and particularly the after market-Non Yamaha warranties are not worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. They normally try to find any reason under the sun as to why what is broken is NOT covered. The fine print none of us ever read clearly discounts so many parts and for so many reasons it is a joke. We sold them at my dealership from a few different companies and made lots of money along with lots of very unsatisfied customers when things did brake. Best of luck but do come back and tell us how you make out.

GaryL
    Yeah I'll see if that $300 was well spent or not. I'm going to insist that before any work that will cost me anything is done they make sure it will cover it. I'll rebuild it myself if they wont under warranty. The gearbox parts are pretty cheap considering. And being a mechanic by trade (Though on heavy equipment), I can't imagine it is too difficult if you pay attention to where things go.
    littletommy and Fred like this.
    2017 TW200 "Lagann"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links