Top Engine Mount Bolts
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Top Engine Mount Bolts

Top Engine Mount Bolts

I was looking over my new to me Tdub and I noticed what looked like a missing bolt in the engine mount upper right bolt hole. I think it needs a bolt but looking over the parts fiche, I'm not so sure.

upper engine mount.JPG

Bolt #10 goes through engine stay #6 then through the frame and has a washer #9 and nut #8 on the other side. You also see bolt #7 also goes through engine stay #6 and the flange on the top of the engine. It seems like the washer and nut actually might go with #7 as it would make more sense.

Does it get a bolt above #7 where there is a hole in the engine stay as well as a hole in the frame? Mine doesn't have a bolt there. I would "assume" it would get another part 8, 9, and 10, just like the one to it's lower left. On Rocky Mountain ATV's OEM parts ordering it defaults to needing 2 of #10 but not on #8 & 9 nut and washer which brings me more confusion.

It's been a couple of days since I had the tank off and noticed it but IIRC the hole in the frame had threads in it but they had silver paint in it like it's never been used, but I may not have seen it correctly. If it does, then I need to just order a #10 as that would bolt into the threads in the frame if #7 goes with 8&9. That would also account for why #10 has qty defaulted to 2 on that OEM parts page.

Can any of you take a peek under your gas tank to see if it has the uppermost right bolt on that engine stay? I'm going to be ordering some OEM parts that I need and if I need to I'll try to figure out what bolt/nuts are needed. I'll try to take a peek at mine to see if #7, 8 & 9 go together.

Thanks,
    JayDub
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock
    '06 Honda CRF230F lighted & plated.(KISS where less is more)
    '01 BMW R1100RL with Russell "Day Long" saddle, Aeroflow screen, heated grips, throttle lock, modulating headlight & tail light.

Previous rides:
    '87 BMW K100LT, '03 Honda XR650L, '95 Honda XLR250R "Baja," '71 BMW R60/5, '81 Honda CM400C "Custom," '82 Honda ATC 185S, '79 CR125 Elsinore, '79 KE175,
    various others I don't remember the models

Withiut checking my memory tells me the third nut and bolt are required. Otherwise stay could rotate negating benefit of stay and acting more like a bar linkage. Without the stay bolted rigidly the engine weights bouncing around can result in a broken frame like Mrs.RhodeTrips bike suffered in Titus Canyon, Death Valley.
    admiral, Ken, arbolmano and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

On my 2004 (125cc which is now 200cc) both holes have threaded captive nuts on the rear. However the threads behind bolt 10 were stripped so I've put another nut on (needs a longer bolt)
    Last edited by buellzebub; 11-24-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    admiral, Ken and Fred like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

admiral likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks for the replies. I too thought without the bolt it can just pivot which wouldn't be helpful and that's why I brought up the question and looked over the parts fiche. I'm going to guess I need part #10 since the nut is built into the piece on the frame.

I'm not sure that the bolt was ever there because the threads have paint in them and this bike has never been restored. I have seen stranger things happen like a John Deere 4240 tractor that threw a connecting rod after 8,000 hours because it only had one nut on the bearing cap from the factory. It was obvious as all the connecting rods had marks where the nuts scored them but the rod that was thrown only had marks where the one nut was. The other half was clean as new and no marks.
    Ken, Fred and Darth like this.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock
    '01 BMW R1100RL with Russell "Day Long" saddle, Aeroflow screen, heated grips, throttle lock, modulating headlight & tail light.

Previous rides:
    '87 BMW K100LT, '03 Honda XR650L, '95 Honda XLR250R "Baja," '71 BMW R60/5, '81 Honda CM400C "Custom," '82 Honda ATC 185S, '79 CR125 Elsinore, '79 KE175,

Agree with 3 above. I've had one vibrate loose/off/missing. Then I had 2 until I noticed it.
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Take the other bolt out and go to the hardware store and match it up to one they have and buy it. It will be cheaper and faster than ordering one online.
    arbolmano, Fred and Ken like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Take the other bolt out and go to the hardware store and match it up to one they have and buy it. It will be cheaper and faster than ordering one online.
    I agree it would be faster but certainly not cheaper. I live over 45 minutes away from the nearest hardware store haha. I'm already ordering new tires, plenty of OEM parts already so I'll just add it to the order. I have a cart full at Rocky Mountain ATV hoping they'll have something special for cyber Monday like 10% off your entire order (it's always nice to dream). If not I'll just place the order Monday and be done.

JayDub
    elime likes this.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock

Previous rides:

Take one of the other bolts that are the exact same and give me measurements of length and the thread size. I have an entire box filled with nuts and bolts from TWs and other Yamaha's and probably have what you need.

GaryL
    joeband likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Hi Gary,
    I appreciate the offer. I'm already buying a bunch of OEM parts for the old girl so a $2 bolt isn't going to break the bank. I can be cheap but I'm already buying a bunch of stuff that is needed to get the bike back in tip top shape. Shipping would be about what the bolt costs and I have enough in my order to get free shipping anyhow.

JayDub
    Darth likes this.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock

Previous rides:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links