Fix one find one to fix - Cam Sprocket Replacement?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By YamTW87

Thread: Fix one find one to fix - Cam Sprocket Replacement?

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Fix one find one to fix - Cam Sprocket Replacement?

So in replacing the side cover rubber o ring which was failing I uncovered another potential issue. I wanted to see what the og guys on here think about how long it’s safe to ride the t dub. Ive attached a few pictures. It’s hard for me to really know but it looks like there are stress cracks in a couple places on the sprocket. There are also places where the sprocket holes have a small break in them. I am wondering if this is also failing or if that’s how it’s cut from factory? Anyway attached are pics along with shots of the strange brown stuff that was all over ther cover. Maybe mud? Maybe someone tried to use some adhesive.

64$ shipped from boats.net but just wondering how hard to change without screwing up the timing and also guessing there is a lower sprocket that should be replaced

I just don’t want to be in the sticks and this thing blow up which I’m guessing would also likely damage the motor?

I can't really tell from your pictures for sure

My picture isn't close enough but you can compare. If I get a chance to look tonight I'll take a better picture.

If in doubt, order a new one. I found one cheaper on RockyMountainATV/MC for $55.78 but you'll have to compare shipping costs to see if it's cheaper.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/4

To verify and/or set your timing please review the Biginners Guid to Base Gasket Replacement. B-Dub went to great length in this thread and he shows how to verify and set the timing. From my personal experience, setting timing is extremely easy if you follow the steps.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...placement.html
    Donzo and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

It's the rubber cushion that's cracked not the actual sprocket but I would replace it as soon as possible.
    I don't want rubber circulating in my engine and clogging my oil filter.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar
    Thanks for the links and info. I found boats.net to have the cheapest shipping to Hawaii so far 😉 almost 8$ less the rocky mtn. I tried to negotiate with them when it was for a plastic goggle visor but they stuck to $20 so I waited till ordering more things. I don’t see how it could cost more than a few dollars to envelope something that weighs next to nothing. Anyway.....

I am game to do the timing but at the time it’s not in the threads of a shoestring tied together budget I am on to get the proper tools haha 😆 part of the reason I ride a tw and have put 4000 miles on in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    It's the rubber cushion that's cracked not the actual sprocket but I would replace it as soon as possible.
    I don't want rubber circulating in my engine and clogging my oil filter.
    Ahh I see thank you! It looks like no can just replace that rubber cushion though? Kind of a shame to spend the money on a whole new sprocket plus the time and work when it’s just a rubber pad that’s cracked. Well it puts my mind to rest considerably knowing the sprocket itself is unlikely to be failing.

Do you think that rubber pad is completely necessary or could it be peeled off?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post

Ahh I see thank you! It looks like no can just replace that rubber cushion though? Kind of a shame to spend the money on a whole new sprocket plus the time and work when it’s just a rubber pad that’s cracked. Well it puts my mind to rest considerably knowing the sprocket itself is unlikely to be failing.

Do you think that rubber pad is completely necessary or could it be peeled off?
    No, cushion can't be replaced alone.
    The purpose of the cushion is to ,probably ,make the engine more quiet.
    I wouldn't risk peeling it off,because rubber bits would fall inside the engine.

Sponosred Links