Carburetor replacement
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By molson42
  • 1 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Carburetor replacement

Carburetor replacement

Gentlemen, I apologize to molson, BadgerFloris and GaryL for an error I made in my very first (original) post. Actually it was my son-in-law who bought it, and I said the bike was a 1987. That is not true, it’s a 2003 machine. There obviously was a miss-communication between my son-in-law and myself. When he bought the bike over to show me I got to reminiscing about the bikes that I had when I was younger. So some where along the line the wrong number got stuck in my mind. I think he wants to trade me this for my Harley. It sure is a lot lighter.
    So I bought the correct rebuild kit and we’ll start from there. Actually it’s really is a pretty nice machine.
    Thanks, Tim
    Last edited by 93harley; 12-02-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 93harley View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I just purchased a 1987 TW200 and I’d like to replace the carburetor. I’m looking for a quality replacement, not the cheapest one. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks, Tim
    If you're not in California here's an OEM option: https://tinyurl.com/ya32oqqw I've heard the cheaper Chinese carbs are good too and at roughy ten times cheaper, I'd probably give the Chinese one a try.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2018 TW200
    2016 Victory Gunner
    Hidden Content
    Amsoil Dealer of Montclair, CA
    Save up to 25% with a Preferred Customer membership!

I did the cheap $35 Chinese knockoff on my 89. It’s a knockoff of the newer style TK carb (2001 and newer bikes) so I also needed to buy the newer style boots. I spent more on the boots than the carb. The intake boot has a tube coming off that needs to be capped or plugged. You have to reroute the throttle cables which isn’t that hard. I’ve logged over 500 miles and have it running as good as my other two bikes with their stock carbs despite an air leak on the intake boot that I recently discovered and fixed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you molson42. I'm on the East Coast so that's no problem. Yikes, the OEM one costs almost as much as I paid for the bike. Maybe I should go the rebuild route. Any suggestion on that?
    Last edited by 93harley; 12-02-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    I did the cheap $35 Chinese knockoff on my 89. It’s a knockoff of the newer style TK carb (2001 and newer bikes) so I also needed to buy the newer style boots. I spent more on the boots than the carb. The intake boot has a tube coming off that needs to be capped or plugged. You have to reroute the throttle cables which isn’t that hard. I’ve logged over 500 miles and have it running as good as my other two bikes with their stock carbs despite an air leak on the intake boot that I recently discovered and fixed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Thank you, just learning how to post here. I'll have to see it my son-in-law is up for that task. Do you know anything about a rebuilt kit.

I like the stock old style TK carbs and they are quite simple to rebuild if they are not totally clogged from sitting. The OEM parts are pretty much all the same from 1987-2000 so the typical parts suppliers usually have them in stock. I know some here have had success with rebuild kits from Pro Cycle and there are other kits also out there but why bother as long as the real OEM Yamaha parts are still available? In my experience with these carbs and where I ride I never found a need to change any jets or mess with the needle shimming process. Very high elevation is not an issue here for me. I have bought a few brand new OEM carbs and one you set the pilot screw at 2-2.25 turns right out of the box they just bolt right in and away you go. Changing the needle valve under the float and the enricher diaphragm are the two most important parts as long as you get the body clean and clog free.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by 93harley View Post
    Thank you, just learning how to post here. I'll have to see it my son-in-law is up for that task. Do you know anything about a rebuilt kit.
    No worries! You can go with a rebuild kit for much le$$! https://tinyurl.com/y8q6h53q
    2018 TW200
    2016 Victory Gunner
    Hidden Content
    Amsoil Dealer of Montclair, CA
    Save up to 25% with a Preferred Customer membership!

Gentlemen, I apologize to molson, BadgerFloris and GaryL for an error I made in my very first (original) post. Actually it was my son-in-law who bought it, and I said the bike was a 1987. That is not true, it’s a 2003 machine. There obviously was a miss-communication between my son-in-law and myself. When he bought the bike over to show me I got to reminiscing about the bikes that I had when I was younger. So some where along the line the wrong number got stuck in my mind. I think he wants to trade me this for my Harley. It sure is a lot lighter.
    So I bought the correct rebuild kit and we’ll start from there. Actually it’s really is a pretty nice machine.

Sponosred Links