Jet Kits
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Jet Kits

Jet Kits

I know there is a carb tuning post from qwerty and I have read it.

I have TONS of dirt bikes and have modified lots of carbs...pumpers, vacuum, etc.

Usually the kits have you drilling out a cap that covers the mixer screw, drilling a hole in the slide...most kits come with an assortment of jets (pilot and main), a needle, shims, and some come with a spring...like the Dynojet kit.

Keep in mind that I don't actually have my TW yet...just put a deposit on it. I just want to have things ready when it arrives.

I know you can buy individual jets, but by the time you purchase individual jets and pay shipping, you might as well get the kit and have the assortment.

I usually purchase the JD kits, but I see they don't make one for the TW. Dynojet does though...and of course Procycle sells something that they call a kit, but there's not much to theirs.

Just curious as to what most of you guys are doing.

Thanks,
    Russ

I'd skip the kits.

As said just yank the cap that covers the idle mix screw and set it to about 2.5 turns (stock is like 1.5).
    Stock pilot jet is fine. 31 is stock, some people put a 34 in, IMO unnecessary. The stock jet can deliver plenty of fuel with the mix screw further open.
    Swap the main with a #130 (stock is 126)
    Send it

That's for a typical, under 3k elevation bike. Higher altitudes often find the stock jetting is close to ideal. You can drill out the CV slide or cut the spring down if you want, ehh, I'm not really convinced either has much effect. This is a mild mannered motor, it's never going to have the "snap" response of a modern 250 motocross bike or anything. Some people also mess around with shimming the needle, again, I'm not convinced this has any performance merit and hits MPG/range.

Feel free to add a slip on down the road, really no changes will be needed. I even did the Wiseco piston and stage 1 cam, and still the jetting seemed pretty much bang on. Just minor adjustment to the idle mix.

It's a Teikei carb, which uses the name numbering system as Keihin (so if you have a Keihin #130 hanging around thats perfectly fine). Dynojet and Mikuni jets are not interchangeable (number for number at least although physically they fit fine).
    Last edited by RaZed1; 12-04-2018 at 01:26 PM.

I can recommend just getting the jet numbers form the tech stickies and if you have a dealer nearby ordering by phone and picking up no shipping that way. Depends on which carb you have later carb has 31 pilot stock and 34 will let you start without choke but use more gas as will shimming as mentioned. I noticed a big improvement in throttle response with shimmering, but I had an after market pipe. Also I needed a bigger main jet with that. I never tried drilling the slide.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it aint broke why bother even fixing it? TWs come from the factory with just about ideal jetting for most regions and certainly right for PA. Just set the pilot screw after removing the plug and go ride your bike. I bet you could not see a damn bit of difference by changing jets, shimming the needle and disturbing what the bike originally came with. Keep in mind, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. A stock TW carb that is adjusted properly is about as good as you can get. I have found that running the TW on 91 octane real gas with no ethanol is about as good as it gets.

GaryL
    MMMOTORCYCLE02 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

For those who fell they must rejet a website called jetsrus.com is a great place with jets for all types of engines.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just so used to having bikes that just absolutely need carb work the minute you get them home because they come so choked off from the factory. They have ALL been lean...especially the Harleys. Then there's all the WR's that had to be de-smogged, jetted, and a heavier pumper spring. The list goes on. At the recommendation of so many of you, I'll just start with yanking the cap off the mixture screw only and go from there!

Thanks,
    Russ
    Dryden-Tdub, Tweaker and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess I'm just so used to having bikes that just absolutely need carb work the minute you get them home because they come so choked off from the factory. They have ALL been lean...especially the Harleys. Then there's all the WR's that had to be de-smogged, jetted, and a heavier pumper spring. The list goes on. At the recommendation of so many of you, I'll just start with yanking the cap off the mixture screw only and go from there!

Thanks,
    Russ
    Good plan Russ! There is just so much juice you can squeeze out of this 12 HP single lung monster and unless you plan on riding in the clouds at well over 5,000 feet I think Yamaha has the carb about as good as it will get. Lean factory setting are merely to get them to meet emission standards and the plug over the adjustment screw is probably mandated by the Gov.
    Sit around some evening reading the thousands of discussion about those who tried to upgrade the exhausts, re-jet and shim the carbs and done all sorts of other tweaking only to still have a 12 HP Mule. We did used to have a member here who claimed he had his TW running at 90 MPH with gobs of power to spare but none of us ever saw the bike and I think he rode it into a phase shift and onto another universe.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I have the early carb. I have posted this before and I have used these jets with great success:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-p...52b74c4daVROsU

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-m...52b74c4daVROsU
    Donzo and Tweaker like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I have the early carb. I have posted this before and I have used these jets with great success:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-p...52b74c4daVROsU

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-m...52b74c4daVROsU
    No doubt Elime you have had plenty of experience with these carbs and the link is probably just what the OP was seeking.

I guess the question now goes to the basics I was attempting to point out. On a brand new 2018 TW with a brand new carb that is hopefully running right once he adjusts the pilot screw, Would you even bother messing with changing jets and screwing around with the inner carb stuff? My personal opinion is I would not touch it until it started developing an issue.

GaryL
    elime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    No doubt Elime you have had plenty of experience with these carbs and the link is probably just what the OP was seeking.

I guess the question now goes to the basics I was attempting to point out. On a brand new 2018 TW with a brand new carb that is hopefully running right once he adjusts the pilot screw, Would you even bother messing with changing jets and screwing around with the inner carb stuff? My personal opinion is I would not touch it until it started developing an issue.

GaryL

I agree with you wholeheartedly !!! First adjust the idle mixture screw and if things are good then you are basically done.
    Mel likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links