Yet Another Oil Question
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Yet Another Oil Question

Yet Another Oil Question

i am considering going with a synthetic oil in my TW and it would be convenient for me to use the same oil as I use in my Ducati. Any opinions about this oil in my TW?

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-...ati-15w50.html

As long as it's ok for use in a wet clutch engine go for it. How much does it cost?

Tweaker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it works for wet clutch applications then its more a matter of what temp range you will be riding in. I believe recommended weight is 10W40 which covers a large temp range. The newer manuals show 10w40/15w40 and 20w50 depending on what air temp's you normally ride in. If you don't ride below 35F then 15w50 should be fine. I personally use 15W40 rotella since I am old and a sissy now and would not consider riding much below 60F....lol.........
    Darth likes this.

Since Ducati's are all wet clutch these days the wet clutch compatible thing will be a non issue. it will be fine so long as it fits the temp range you ride in as mentioned earlier.

FWIW I run full syn 10w50 in both of my tw's and i can run it year round in the northeast. I have been running Castrol but since Amsoil came out with that one philo posted a link to that will be what goes in mine once the case of Castrol runs out.

I run 10w40 in my Ducati since i do tend to sometimes ride in really cold temps and its what my dealer suggested when i bought it back in 2011.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Thanks for all the input. I really don't plan on riding in temps less than 50 or 60 degrees F. I suffered enough in my younger days when my bike was my only form of transportation. Now I ride for enjoyment.

I have been trusting my Ducati dealer for the choice of oil in my Multistrada - I'm thinking about giving it a try in my TW.
    Ken and Darth like this.

I use Rotella in ALL of my bikes...over 50 bikes now. NEVER had a problem. I hate getting involved in oil threads. Why, WHY do I do this??...LOL
    elime and Ken like this.

To clarify........you currently have 50 bikes currently? I have trouble resisting an oil thread............lol..............
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KLRCris View Post
    To clarify........you currently have 50 bikes currently? I have trouble resisting an oil thread............lol..............
    LOL...No. After I pick up the new TW tomorrow, we'll have 6 in the garage, but I've owned...I think I'm at 57 bikes. It's a sickness for sure and really keeps Progressive on their toes! I actually have a database that I keep which is kind of fun to look back on every now and then. Owned lots from the "big four" companies as well as BMW, Guzzi, Bultaco (my screen name) and ATK. Never owned a Ducati, Ural, or Triumph...and yeah, I realize there are literally over a hundred other companies. I tend not to keep them very long, although at age 55, I'm beginning to slow down. On my third Wing and have owned it since 2013, so that's not bad. Of all the dirt bikes, probably kept an XR400 the longest. I was thinking about throwing the list in my signature just for giggles, but I'm new here I don't know how...LOL!
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

Oops I see now...Edit Signature in "settings."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links