Tarped for 9 yrs? Getting running?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tarped for 9 yrs? Getting running?

Tarped for 9 yrs? Getting running?

I’ve a 2004 that’s been under a tarp in Seattle for 9 yrs. just brought back to Cali.
    Gonna buy battery, tires, chain, filter, plugs. Try and change the oil, maybe siphon out the old gas.
    But kinda worried about all the stuff I don’t know about. Break lines, bearings, etc.
    any recommendations for replacement or procedure for getting this running safe? My sons 17 now, so we’re fixing it back up together.
    Darth likes this.

Welcome to the forum Tony!

I have no experience with that, but others do and will post up!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

i would pull the tank and clean it if rusted inside vinegar is a good way to get rid of it carb cleaning and replace the fuel line with a in line filter i would also do a oil change, flush the brake fluid and if the chain has stuck links i would change it tires and tubes should also be in the budget .. everything else you will need to see once its running i wouldn't go throwing a bunch of money into parts until its running also being California i hope the bike has California emissions or has 7500 miles on it or dmv will not let you register it feel free to ask questions as i have done many resurrections of bikes that have been sitting years

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new (to you) bike!

GaryL has written an excellent piece on bringing a bike such as yours back to life:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...back-life.html

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Welcome to the forum Tony!

I have no experience with that, but others do and will post up!
    Thanks Darth, ya don’t know where to start haha
    Darth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse1966 View Post
    i would pull the tank and clean it if rusted inside vinegar is a good way to get rid of it carb cleaning and replace the fuel line with a in line filter i would also do a oil change, flush the brake fluid and if the chain has stuck links i would change it tires and tubes should also be in the budget .. everything else you will need to see once its running i wouldn't go throwing a bunch of money into parts until its running also being California i hope the bike has California emissions or has 7500 miles on it or dmv will not let you register it feel free to ask questions as i have done many resurrections of bikes that have been sitting years
    Thanks! Ya I’ll have to go down to the dmv and find out first. I bought this off craigslist in 2006, then left it up in Seattle when we moved back.

Lots of good info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new (to you) bike!

GaryL has written an excellent piece on bringing a bike such as yours back to life:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...back-life.html
    I’ll check that out, thanks so much

Welcome!

Sounds like a great project make sure to take some pictures along the way and share!

I had an old thumper (XR 500) that sat around for many years. I broke down the carburetor, cleaned it all up threw in a new spark plug, new oil change, oil filter and new air filter. Installed brand new gas lines added new gas and she fired right up on the third kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonypan View Post
    Thanks! Ya I’ll have to go down to the dmv and find out first. I bought this off craigslist in 2006, then left it up in Seattle when we moved back.

Lots of good info, thanks.
    I would suggest that you not go to DMV first.

First, determine whether this bike is a 49 state bike. Is there an emissions canister (or a bracket where one might have been previously mounted) on the right side of the frame downtube in the front of the engine? If not, then you have a 49 state bike, which if it has less than 7,500 miles then DMV may consider it to be a "New" vehicle and can block it from ever being registered in California. If it has the canister, and an emissions sticker on the the inside of one of the side covers (sorry, can't remember which side it is), then you are good to go.

If you do have a 49 state bike, I may have a way to help you out. Where in California are you located?

Brian

GOF
    Here for a similar reason. An old '87 TW that has been sitting for many years in the back of a shed. Planning on seeing if I can resurrect it. Hoping not to put a lot of money into it. But it seems like a challenge worth attempting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links