Question regarding stiffer rear spring.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Question regarding stiffer rear spring.

Question regarding stiffer rear spring.

Hello, I'm thinking about picking up a new 2018/19 TW200. I have been doing some reading and definitely would be upgrading the fork springs and rear shock spring. Looking on that pro-cycle site it mentions the stiffer rear spring is not designed for the 2016+ TW200. Does anyone have any info on why that is?

Hi and welcome to the form!

Beginning in the 2016 model year I believe, Yamaha introduced a new rear shock that has a different size spring than all the earlier TW's.

Thank you for the welcome, so at this time there are no other aftermarket springs to stiffen up the rear? I couldn't really find anything, only thing I found was a thread talking about how it's easier to adjust preload on the 16-19 bikes but that doesn't really help a undersprung spring issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it's that big of a concern consider picking up a 2015 or older used. I have seen them listed for excellent prices with super low mileage. You may have to drive a bit to pick one up or wait a year to find the one you want but it might be just what you're looking for,
    PlacerLode likes this.

All the tw200s I've seen in BC are almost the same price as a new one from the showroom. Doesn't matter on condition or km's. So I was wanting to buy new cause I just don't trust people when it comes to maintenance. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to taking care of my stuff. Maybe I will email pro cycle and get some info on it.
    Tweaker likes this.

Simple buy a 2015 or older OEM spring and install the ProCycle White or Red rear spring you can actually sell a 2016 or newer rear shock for as much or more than what the early shock and spring will cost
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 12-15-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Trail Woman and Darth like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Take it you mean buy the 15 or older shock and put a procycle coil on it and sell the 18 shock and coil. Are the rear shocks able to be rebuilt? or would it be a idea to buy a new 15 or older shock from yamaha. Thanks again for all the info, was thinking since they changed the shock they might of changed how the shock mounts up to linkage.
    Fred likes this.

I would just buy a used rear it's not too hard to find fairly low milers and I think they are pretty durable units

You could buy new but I bet the price will give you sticker "shock" lol
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Yeah a new oem shock assembly is like $350-400 depending on where you go. If I end up getting a new TW200 I will just post a wanted ad in the classifieds on this site looking for a shock. I never see TW200's or parts where I live. Seen one tw200 on craigslist in 8 months. Thanks for the info.

If this is a thread hijack I apologize but, as the owner of a 2017 TW I am curious as to what exactly did they change with the 2017 rear shock. Is it some sort of improvement? I have not seen much discussion here as to what the changes are. Anyway, if I was interested in going with a stiffer spring I would wait until one made for the new shock is available- it shouldn't take too long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links