Intermittent starting 2007
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Intermittent starting 2007

So as she ages she gracefully offers me more opportunities to learn about, fix, and replace little things here and there.

Lately it’s been something in the Electrical department. I noticed a few days ago that the ignition seemed to occasionally not work properly. I.e. switch to on and no power. It only happened once until today. Well yesterday and a few random days before i noticed it would do the single click or more like t’hick like a thicker sounding tick and Not start. It worked for me fine yesterday but when i got home i wanted to fire it up again to test the switch. It only gave me the t’hick sound each time i tried and no fire.

So today i started with pulling and cleaning the start button. Because this has given me trouble before. I resanded the contacts and shortened the spring a touch because it seemed like the contacts had worn down so much they couldn’t quite reach. Well I tried testing to start before reassembling as has worked in the past and this time. Nothing. No t’hick click no fire nada. Ok well stunped i put it together to check something else. And of course it starts... several times no problem as if it’s fixed. Well then i check the key main switch it’s working but occasionally not turning bike on but was not doing this while testing the switch before reassmbling to the bars. So i check the key it’s a little gunked up so i clean it and well wouldn’t ya know the main ignition switch seems to be fine now.... however it has gone back to the t’hick sound and No start.

I’m gonna pull the seat and check battery, connections, and stator as best I can.

Pretty sure it will clutch start but this is when I am bummed that Yamaha and other manufacturers pulled the kickstart. Wish I could ‘farm’ this bike but it’s just not in the budget right now.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I recently had a no start situation that was a key on = lights on, but no starter turnover situation. It was a malfunction of the handlebar stop/run kill switch. It was given a disassembly and cleaning to fix it up.

Checking the battery cables where they connect to the bike and not just the battery is advised, as is taking off the tank and checking the wiring connections all up around the ignition switch and head stem area.

Finally, how old is the battery? Might it be the culprit?

Best of luck to you.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    I recently had a no start situation that was a key on = lights on, but no starter turnover situation. It was a malfunction of the handlebar stop/run kill switch. It was given a disassembly and cleaning to fix it up.

Checking the battery cables where they connect to the bike and not just the battery is advised, as is taking off the tank and checking the wiring connections all up around the ignition switch and head stem area.

Finally, how old is the battery? Might it be the culprit?

Best of luck to you.
    Hey Larry thanks for the tips! I am 99% its the little starter relay Rc19-022

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/5EK-81940-02-00

My reasoning being that in gapping the positive and negative connections on the relay the bike starts every time. Also I replaced the fuse which other than corrosion appeared fine and did not help.

Can anyone confirm?

Also can anyone help me understand how it works and if there is a bypass to get me rolling?

Seems like when starter button is pressed voltage is pushed into relay which pops the activator (solenoid?) and connects the power supply to starter.

Anyone have a used one for cheap they want to sell or will anything work i.e. yamaha oem not required?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Take a look at the wiring diagram. There is another relay called the "starting circuit cut-off relay". It applies power to trigger the actual starter relay but only if the safety switches (clutch, neutral, kickstand and kill switch) are in the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Take a look at the wiring diagram. There is another relay called the "starting circuit cut-off relay". It applies power to trigger the actual starter relay but only if the safety switches (clutch, neutral, kickstand and kill switch) are in the right position.
    Thanks Peter I will have to try that tomorrow came in because such a bad migraine and can’t focus. Would jumping the posi and neg on the starter relay skip that starting circuit cut off relay?

Little confused on what the manual is saying for testing that part but maybe tomorrow with a clear head.

At least i can start the bike and make runs. Just have to gap it every time to start. I found a knife with rubber handle works well just better not stall it on the highway haha 😆

Your understanding is correct: Starter button activates coil which closes contacts to starter solenoid.
    This saves the starter button contacts.

An equivelent relay is cheap at an auto parts, if you do not mind replacing connector with spade terminals...or you may find one with compatible terminals.

But first follow PeterB's advice in post 4

If the starter button is not providing voltage to starter relay, then possibilities are:

1. No power to start button
    2. Start button contacts defective
    3. Start bypass relay open, per Peters list
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-16-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

"Thanks Peter I will have to try that tomorrow came in because such a bad migraine and can’t focus. Would jumping the posi and neg on the starter relay skip that starting circuit cut off relay?

Little confused on what the manual is saying for testing that part but maybe tomorrow with a clear head.

At least i can start the bike and make runs. Just have to gap it every time to start. I found a knife with rubber handle works well just better not stall it on the highway haha 😆"

I assume you are jumping the large terminals on the starter solenoid? If yes you are totally bypassing all the starting circuit. The wiring diagram is kinda complex if your not that familiar with that kind of thing but you are very lucky if it stays not starting so you can get a test light and chase the power. If you get power at one of the small terminals and ground on the other small terminal of your starter relay.(check for ground by hooking the clip of your test light to the + terminal of your battery and the probe to the terminal of the solenoid of the starter relay you are checking for ground) but still no crank until you jump the large terminals of the starter relay then yes you need a starter relay. If you do not have either power or ground at the small terminals of the relay you must investigate further. I recommend printing off the wiring diagram as large as you can and follow power and grounds with a test light.
    Take care of that migraine and try again with a clear mind.

ABCFBFA8-6677-413F-8DAA-142ADE5518CB.pngWellllll don’t ya know Kratom is a beautiful thing and totally takes out insane migraine headaches too bad it’s a plant and can’t be used in dubious ways or controlled easily like Big Pharma wants...... Let’s hope it survives their attacks. Let me tell you it works well and deserves respect. I will hopefully never have to take Tylenol ibuprofen or the like again.

Anyway what a difference a clear head makes.... It sure helps when you have the supplemental manual for your year machine lmao 😆

So it appears to be the relay assembly switch which is of course a lot cheaper than the starter relay. 🙂

I say appears because my minimal skill and knowledge of electrical has me uncertain if i did the test correctly. I followed the instructions in attached photo and Did Not receive continuity at points instructed but did receive it at the other points. I also checked the starter relay and it seems to check for continuity.

I want to check the start switch too but to access the plug i need to pull the tank and i want to run the fuel out of carb with switch to off. The batteries gone too low to start so letting it charge up before continuiting 😉
    Last edited by Soulprogression108; 12-17-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Peterb yes I was jumping the relay at two main posts. I didn’t get to try what you suggested before battery drained out.

So my new question assuming it’s the little Relay pictured

Can i bypass it and start my bike? Without having to take the side cover off and use a knife like a crazy(er) person?

Attachment 187602

I am now pretty much totally confused due to the following.

So I got the bike running by gapping the start solenoid as I needed to run an errand and the TW is my only transport.

She ran well but since it was night time I noticed that the rear brake light bulb had burnt out. Turns still work. However I am still unsure from them not being on the last few months but there are no rear side running lights is that correct? Only rear brake running and license plate light?

Onto the gremilns. So i left it running while i did my trip and then rode home. I jokingly decided to try the start button when i shut her down. Well it started.... several times. Then stopped working for me. I pulled the switch and fiddled with it appears that the spring has to touch an outer plate as a ground? To make the connection. Well still it gave me trouble but i lined it up nice and put it back together and it has fired up every time since. Now i could get a replacement ignition switch easy, but there was one more thing i noticed that makes me wonder if there’s something else like a short bad ground etc. I turned the bike key off and on after fiddling with the switch. This time it did not flick on so i flicked it off and back on second time it delayed a bit but then flicked on lights. On and off again and third time no delay and starting off button no problem?

Is it a ghost? Is it posessed should I give it a wash and maybe perform an exorcism? I’m an Internet Ordained Minister but I haven’t found a good mate for the TW so I think marriage is out of the question and I don’t really “exercise” let alone Exorcise 😉

More jokes and pokes tomorrow

Will i be crazy enough to ride it all the way to town and risk getting stranded? Probably but hopefully if the switch won’t start it, the knife will, or i can push start it.

Personally i prefer when things clearly break and i can just fix them lol

Good Night all Aloha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links