First oil change...part 3
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: First oil change...part 3

First oil change...part 3

Got thru the oil change without problems. When it was time to check the weep bolt I had no idea what to expect as far as how much oil would seep out so after running the engine for a couple of minutes and seeing nothing come out I got worried, turned off the engine and completely removed the bolt and it was completely coated with clean oil, so I’m assuming everything is ok. Should I have waited longer? As I said I had no idea what to expect. Thank you all for your help.

That's what the paper towel is for: it makes it much easier to see the first drop wick out. Also, if you run the RPM's up a little bit, it will take less time.

I hope you have been reading the cover bolt advice not to use the specified torque, but about 15% less so as not to stretch or snap the bolts.

Since I re-use the original oil filter indefinitely, and NO-ONE works on my bike but me, I have stopped doing the bleed test since there is no possibility of putting in the wrong filter. The ONLY possibility is that I actually forget to put fresh oil in and maybe someday when I'm even more senile I'll do that!
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    That's what the paper towel is for: it makes it much easier to see the first drop wick out. Also, if you run the RPM's up a little bit, it will take less time.

I hope you have been reading the cover bolt advice not to use the specified torque, but about 15% less so as not to stretch or snap the bolts.

Since I re-use the original oil filter indefinitely, and NO-ONE works on my bike but me, I have stopped doing the bleed test since there is no possibility of putting in the wrong filter. The ONLY possibility is that I actually forget to put fresh oil in and maybe someday when I'm even more senile I'll do that!
    Thank you. That’s insurance enough for me as I’ll be the only one to change the oil. Yes I’ve read about the bolts and while I do not own a torque wrench I’ve always had a good feel for when it’s far enough. I haven’t snapped a bolt so far in more than 50 years of oil changes. Thanks again.

Sponosred Links