1987 tw200 carb
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: 1987 tw200 carb

1987 tw200 carb

Carburetor replacement.
    Hi. I'm new to the forum. Forgive the newbie question.... Recently purchased a 1987 tw. After bringing it back to life from its purgatory in someone's barn I enjoyed 11.5 trouble free miles.
    About a 1/4 mile from home the carb float stuck (probably) and I'm considering replacing the whole thing. As everyone here probably knows the original oem part is really expensive for the 1987-2000 TWs. But the later model carbs are resonable. What kind of trouble would it be to fit the later model carb on the 1987?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Nctw.

Pretty sure you are incorrect regarding the prices for old style Vs new style replacement OEM carbs. Both are available at Partzilla and both are the same price, $287.

Either carb can be fit on your bike but if you go with the new style you have to also buy the intake joint between the cylinder head and carb and maybe even the air box boot and then you have to reroute the throttle cables. IMO, there is no real benefit in changing the carb to the newer style other than parts remaining available for the new one longer.
    There are very cheap Chinese carbs that apparently can be fitted in but I have never swapped one.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I have two '87s, one with a rebuilt and rejetted stock carb, and another that came with a china carb.

The china carb is not a direct replacement. The air filter boot needs to be modified, the throttle needs to be replaced with a single cable style, and the cable inlet at the carb itself needs to be modified a bit as well.

It's cheap, and it runs surprisingly well for what it is... but it doesn't run like a stock carb.

My '87 with the stock carb has a lot more pep, no hesitation, and it starts a lot better when cold.

I've experimented more with the non-stock carb, even to the point of adapting a larger "pumper" carb, which gave me more low end grunt, and cured the hesitation during early acceleration, but it still doesn't feel quite as good as the stock setup.

If I didn't have the two to compare, I'd probably be quite happy with the aftermarket carb... but I do have both, and the stock setup is better.

I know stock replacement carbs are expensive, but I'd really recommend going that route. Once you get it dialed in, you'll probably never have to worry about it again.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 12-27-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I used this thread because it has the part numbers for the carb boots that are needed for the conversion.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...etor-87-a.html

The choke was stuck on my 89 carb. I got my clone from Amazon for $34 and it runs as well as my other two bikes with OEM carbs. Throttle cable re-routing is required, but that’s a fairly easy process. Don’t forget to cap the nipple on the new intake boot. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

You can always just buy the parts and rebuild and clean the original carb for way less than buying a new one. Plenty of threads here to guide you through the rebuild.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Oh yeah - and welcome to the board ..................
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks for the advice.
    I think I will go for rebuilding/cleaning what's there. Noticed that the boot between the air filter housing and the carb has a crack and is not fully sealing.
    Are there any other issues that I should check out which might cause the little TW to stall out when I give it any gas at all in spite of it idling nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by nctw View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think I will go for rebuilding/cleaning what's there. Noticed that the boot between the air filter housing and the carb has a crack and is not fully sealing.
    Are there any other issues that I should check out which might cause the little TW to stall out when I give it any gas at all in spite of it idling nicely?
    The seals on both sides of the carb MUST be air tight in order for the carb to have a stable air/fuel mixture. New air box boots can be bought. On any 1987 TW you can be sure the boot is rock hard and has shrunk considerably.

GaryL
    jbfla likes this.

Sponosred Links