2003 TW200 Won't Start; Has spark
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2003 TW200 Won't Start; Has spark

2003 TW200 Won't Start; Has spark

I have a 2003 TW that refuses to start. It was running fine until it suddenly stopped at a stop light. We diagnosed it and found that it had no spark, but after replacing the magneto/stator yesterday we were able to get a visible spark. However, it still isn't starting. It has a new lithium battery we got a little over a month ago. Voltage tests show that its working fine, and we've tried bump starting and jump starting from another battery. We tried starter fluid, and still nothing. Air presses on my finger when holding over the spark plug hole and trying to start it, and it smells of fuel and trips from the carb after the petcock has been left open for a few minutes, so it seems that it has all three elements of spark, fuel, and compression. This bike has had a history of being difficult to start. We're going to go get a compression tester later this after to confirm that we have compression, but after that I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MCB View Post
    trips from the carb after the petcock has been left open for a few minutes !
    Should drip from the carb in seconds - and if it takes a minute or two before dripping when not running with none of the bleed screws open, then you have a problem with the carb

That's your starting point - fuel supply

Either the petcock, or the carb itself .....
    elime and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I thought carb issues might have been eliminated when it didn't fire up for a few seconds with with the starter fluid. Is that not the case? If so, do you think I need to do a full carb cleaning?

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Should drip from the carb in seconds - and if it takes a minute or two before dripping when not running with none of the bleed screws open, then you have a problem with the carb

That's your starting point - fuel supply

Either the petcock, or the carb itself .....
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Could still be a weak ignition coil or weak plug. Could be air filter. Could be fuel quality or supply. Slight chance it's CDI but I think a failing CDI can still start up sometimes. It could be more serious like a messed up valvetrain, cam chain tensioner or very low compression, but those are much less likely to occur at a stoplight unless you were low on oil or had crazy high miles/weird noises and maybe no valve adjustment ever. Just unlikely any of the serious ones like that would happen without warning. What does the spark look like and where did you spray the starter fluid? A better test may be a teaspoon or so of fuel in the spark plug hole. If the fuel was running low it's very possible that something got sucked in and is obstructing fuel delivery. Occasionally folks only find out they were low on fuel when they pull the clutch in or come to a stop and the bike dies. Did it die as you stopped or while stopped?
    Ken likes this.

A. How bright is the spark? Bright white/blue, not yellowish?
    B. What is spark plug gap? Under compression, a wide gap may not fire.
    C. How new is the spark plug?
    D. What is color of spark plug?
    E. Has any work been done on the timing chain?
    F. What were voltage tests? (1) Key off? (2) Key just turned on? (3)While trying to start?
    G. Choke/enrichener on or off?
    H. What is setting of mixture screw? Is it open to about 2 1/2 turns from gentle seat?
    I. Air filter removed to squirt ether? How much ether? One second blast while cranking?
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-27-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Check all the safety switches. Kill switch, neutral switch, kick stand switch and also all the various ground wires behind the head light, most are black. Any of these switches that fail will cause the bike to not run even if you do see spark at the plug. They are all interconnected into the light box beside the speedometer.

GaryL
    goldenhtr and philo like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sounds flooded. Turn the gas OFF and hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and see if it starts. If it does then it is a carb problem.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

needs new plug
    excalibur likes this.

This might sound stupid (because it is) but I had pulled the plug on mine to check spark and simply failed to plug the wire in completely when I reinstalled the plug. The spark plug wire "clicked" once and seemed like it was seated but it was not. The spark checked OK when I tested it but obviously the bike wouldn't run when I tried to start it.

I just had to push harder to force a more solid click and it worked fine.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by MCB View Post
    I have a 2003 TW that refuses to start. It was running fine until it suddenly stopped at a stop light. We diagnosed it and found that it had no spark, but after replacing the magneto/stator yesterday we were able to get a visible spark. However, it still isn't starting. It has a new lithium battery we got a little over a month ago. Voltage tests show that its working fine, and we've tried bump starting and jump starting from another battery. We tried starter fluid, and still nothing. Air presses on my finger when holding over the spark plug hole and trying to start it, and it smells of fuel and trips from the carb after the petcock has been left open for a few minutes, so it seems that it has all three elements of spark, fuel, and compression. This bike has had a history of being difficult to start. We're going to go get a compression tester later this after to confirm that we have compression, but after that I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    I had something similar happen on my 1993 before. 1st double check the kill switch. I have bumped them off at lights before. The odd thing I did which seemed to work was to push it lightly with the clutch engaged, not held in, and just lightly bump it a couple times. Then put it in neutral and try starting it. After I made it home I would tighten my cam chain adjuster. I always suspected that the cam chain was a little loose which may have had the timing off just a tad. All I know was I got it started after it died at the light doing that method. It happened a handful of times. If it has been consistently been getting harder to start your valves may be going bad so the compression test you mentioned is the way to go. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links