re-California-ifying my new-to-me '93 (with pics)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: re-California-ifying my new-to-me '93 (with pics)

re-California-ifying my new-to-me '93 (with pics)

Well, I've had my TW for just a couple days and realized that it needs a lot of attention with regards to its California emissions before I can register it for street use. Some quick background: I live in California; I bought the bike down the road from me in California, and it's a CA bike (see emissions photo below for reference). However, for reasons I don't fully comprehend (probably related to money), the previous owner chose to register the bike in Alaska and rip the CA emissions canister and all related hoses off the thing (it's long gone). Evidently, he also changed out the carburetor for a replacement factory one when it was running poorly in the last couple years (I'm unsure if he chose a CA or 49-state carb as a replacement... I hope a CA unit). The problem is because it's an out-of-state title and license, I need to bring the bike down to DMV and have them verify its California-ness. Thus, I need to fully restore the emissions situation as it was from the factory.

I ordered a canister and related hardware from on online depot and eBay and am still waiting on their delivery. What I'm struggling with is which hoses/ports on the carb are supposed to route where. I believe I've already found the fuel tank port that routes to the canister.

Here is my current (likely incorrect) state of affairs. Click any photo to make it larger.

Emissions sticker from inside of the side plastic panel proving we've got a CA bike here (this was fun to find): IMG_0074.jpg

Left side of motorcycle (front to left of photo): TWcarb_left_side_arrows.jpg
    Looking at the left side of the carb, we see:
    1) the grey fuel inlet hose (wth aftermarket filter above carb)
    2) just behind #1 we see a black hose (white arrow) coming out at about the 3 o'clock position. This, I believe, is the the left-side fuel bowl vent. But I'm not sure on that. It's currently routed down to dump in front of rear tire.
    Moving our eye down to the fuel bowl, we see what could be thought of as 3 ports, starting in the foreground and looking away (deeper) from our perspective
    3) the first "port" in the foreground we see is vertically cast along the left side of the fuel bowl (blue arrow) and indeed is not a "port" at all. Not shown, but if you look up underneath, it's simply blocked off - no hole at all at the lower tip
    4) the second "port" is larger (red arrow) and in the photo looks to be touching the crankcase vent tube. It is an actual port and is vented to atmosphere right there. No hose on it at all.
    5) the third "port" is just behind #4 (yellow arrow) and it attached to a grey tube that joins a Y fitting and drains to in front of rear tire

Looking at the right side of the carb, we see:TWcarb_right_side_arrows.jpg
    1) clear tube on port (green arrow) that I believe to be the right-side carb bowl vent tube
    2) the lower drain/vent we saw over on the left side - the same yellow arrow from the left side. #1 and #2 are joined at that previously mentioned Y fitting.

Here's a CA-carb diagram from an online parts house: twCAcarb.png
    And here's a diagram from a TW service manual: twCAcarb_hoses.png (and its legend: twCAcarb_hoselegend.png)

Looking at the service manual diagram, it seems to suggest the two upper fuel bowl vents join at a Y and dump to the ground and some vague port "B" routes to the emissions canister.

And just for completeness, here is my forlorn canister mount without the required partner (part is on the way): IMG_0082.jpg

Here's a total guess on my part as to what might go where:
    - green arrow port and white arrow port vent to ground in front of rear tire (but then doesn't that defeat the purpose of a CA emissions system? Maybe these join a Y-fitting and route to the canister?)
    - red arrow port might be #19 in service manual diagram, which suggests dumping to ground
    - no idea what yellow arrow port is, so maybe it's the one that routes to the emissions canister or maybe it vents to atmosphere with no hose (as seems to be indicated by the diagram from the parts house) - but then, which port in my photos would be the "B" route as shown in the service manual? Gack.

As you can see, I'm flummoxed. I'm starting to think I've got a 49-state carb on this thing. Anybody with a CA bike able to set me straight? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leftlane; 01-03-2019 at 01:25 AM.

quite honestly when you go to register it all they care about is the sticker inside the cover they do not verify any smog equipment being on the bike whatsoever i had a very highly modified KTM superduke that i brought in from Reno area and dmv only cared about that emissions sticker .. also i imported a car from canada and the same thing ... as long as the sticker is there they will register it .. this car had no cat with header and few other illegal items on it

Hi Leftlane,

Wildhorse is right. The DMV will only go by the VIN which will indicate that it is a California bike, and verify the emissions sticker which you have. I wouldn't worry about the carb or the various vent lines. I've got a few spare emissions canisters if bolting one onto your bike will give you additional peace of mind.

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I had to guess and I do, I would think California is more concerned with getting your tax revenue than they are with protecting the environment. Here in NY the standard operating procedure at the DMV is to be as unaccommodating as humanly possible but get the money.

GaryL
    GOF and elime like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I bought a 2003 last Sunday and went to my local AAA office on Monday and transfered it there. They didn’t look at the bike, just charged me the tax and registration fees. Are you a AAA member?

Quote Originally Posted by 2003/T-DUB View Post
    I bought a 2003 last Sunday and went to my local AAA office on Monday and transfered it there. They didn’t look at the bike, just charged me the tax and registration fees. Are you a AAA member?
    I am guessing that the bike that you bought was already titled and registered in California.

Leftlane's bike sounds like it is currently titled and registered in Alaska. AAA would just send him to the DMV.

When I lived in San Diego; I joined AAA strictly for the reason I could drive to their office; get registration stuff done; and be back at work before my lunch hour was over. ( instead of spending hours in long lines at the DMV)

Okay, it's good piece of mind to understand DMV will only hunt down the CA emissions sticker. Still, I'd like to fully restore this emissions layout to the factory setup. I park my bike right next to the wife's car in the garage and with the system open as it was, it emits a strong cloud of gasoline smell. My reward is I get to hear about it from her. You married guys know what I'm on about.

Today I took my best shot at a new layout, now that the canister was delivered (click photos to enlarge).

caTWcarb_left_during_arrows.jpg
    Above showing left side view. White arrows coming off port and joining into a T-fitting on the right side. Assuming the white arrow port is a fuel bowl vent. Again, not 100% on that.

twCAcarb_during_right_arrows (1).jpg
    Above showing right side view. White arrow showing T-fitting previously mentioned and green arrow showing port joining into T-fitting. Again assuming green arrow port is also a fuel bowl vent tube.

The red arrow above is the drain port for the fuel bowl. I've run a line down to the factory fitting screwed into the front of the trailing arm. This is now the only thing I have dumping in front of the rear tire. The yellow arrow port from my first post picture now has nothing attached to it. My guess is that this port is some sort of fuel bowl overflow, but I have no idea - never been in one of these carbs... yet.

IMG_0089.jpg
    Above showing the result and current state. Should be good for any visual check.

So now I'm confident I'll pass DMV even if they were never going go look at all this stuff. To my eye, the canister mount hanging out in the wind as it was was a huge red flag, but y'all are probably right; they probably wouldn't have even bothered with it. Bay Area DMV visits are a long arduous process and the thought of having to repeat a trip is more than I can bare.

I'd like this thread to be oriented towards the proper way to route these lines as opposed to whether or not I'll be able to register it at DMV, so please weigh in with how this ought to be done as the factory did it if you know. I am not suggesting they did it the way I showed above. I'm showing you to have you tell me how I bungled it

Nevertheless, I'm headed to DMV tomorrow to spend all day there to do 3 things: 1) test for my M1 license, 2) register my T-dub, and 3) get a Real ID. There may not be enough hours in the day to get all 3 of those done. Wish me luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TW-Brian likes this.

Good luck at DMV!

I've heard the Tracy branch is much better than the one in Pleasanton.

I can also attest to the fact that all they care about is the sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links