floodding easy when cold
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: floodding easy when cold

floodding easy when cold

I've got a 2003 TW200 and ever since new it has always been easy to flood when it's cold. Every since new, if you touch the throttle when it's cold it will flood and not start. I have to pull the plug and dry it out and try again. Once it's warm, it runs and starts great. I live at 2500 feet and have used it in the desert alot, but just bought a mountain get-a-way and want to use it there where it's about 8500 feet. I don't know, but could it be it is just very rich and may need to be rejetted. If so, what size jet should I start at? It is all original and the carb has never been off, maybe a new carb?
    Any suggestions will be great. Thanks.

At 2500ft OEM jetting should be fine. It's extremely lean out of the box at sea level, as you go up it comes closer to ideal but I'd venture a guess you could still use another 1/2 turn or so on the idle screw (hidden under a plug on the bottom of the carb). But that wouldn't be causing the problem you have. After it stalls, the plug is soaking wet? Opening the throttle delivers more air, not fuel, so when an engine craps out blipping the throttle it's more often that it's too lean, and the extra air kills it.

The only thing that comes to mind if the choke floods it out is the little rubber plug that restricts what the choke circuit can draw (if you pop the bowl off, there's three tubes extending down into the bowl. One holds the pilot jet, one holds the main and jet nozzle, and the third should have a rubber stopper in it. If that stopper is leaking/missing/fell out (rare, but have seen it), the choke will draw waaaay too much fuel up and rather than give a rich fast idle, flood the engine out almost instantly.

I'd pop the carb off (not difficult) and have a peek around the bowl. Check that rubber stopper is in place and snug. After 15 years, carb could probably do with a cleaning.
    Leisure Time Larry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    At 2500ft OEM jetting should be fine. It's extremely lean out of the box at sea level, as you go up it comes closer to ideal but I'd venture a guess you could still use another 1/2 turn or so on the idle screw (hidden under a plug on the bottom of the carb). But that wouldn't be causing the problem you have. After it stalls, the plug is soaking wet? Opening the throttle delivers more air, not fuel, so when an engine craps out blipping the throttle it's more often that it's too lean, and the extra air kills it.

The only thing that comes to mind if the choke floods it out is the little rubber plug that restricts what the choke circuit can draw (if you pop the bowl off, there's three tubes extending down into the bowl. One holds the pilot jet, one holds the main and jet nozzle, and the third should have a rubber stopper in it. If that stopper is leaking/missing/fell out (rare, but have seen it), the choke will draw waaaay too much fuel up and rather than give a rich fast idle, flood the engine out almost instantly.

I'd pop the carb off (not difficult) and have a peek around the bowl. Check that rubber stopper is in place and snug. After 15 years, carb could probably do with a cleaning.
    Thanks - The plug is very wet. I'll clean the carb this weekend. Do I need to pull the air box out to remove the carb? Is it better to just buy a carb off of Amazon or install a rebuilt kit? Seems both about the same money.

Thanks, again for your help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There really shouldn't be any reason to replace the carb. I'd stick with the factory Teiki. A rebuild after 15 years wouldn't be a horrible idea.

The airbox doesn't have to be removed. You can work the carb out and back into the boots, although getting the airbox boot back on can be a little tricky but is doable. I have heard some people unbolt the intake book from the head and slide the whole thing out. Sure that works fine, but once you've done it once or twice slipping the carb back between the two boots isn't a big deal. A right-angle pick makes peeling the airbox boot back around the carb mouth pretty easy.

I'd certainly pull the air filter and check it first

Where are you finding a carb for the price of a rebuild kit ?
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by larkinman View Post
    I've got a 2003 TW200 and ever since new it has always been easy to flood when it's cold. Every since new, if you touch the throttle when it's cold it will flood and not start. I have to pull the plug and dry it out and try again. Once it's warm, it runs and starts great. I live at 2500 feet and have used it in the desert alot, but just bought a mountain get-a-way and want to use it there where it's about 8500 feet. I don't know, but could it be it is just very rich and may need to be rejetted. If so, what size jet should I start at? It is all original and the carb has never been off, maybe a new carb?
    Don't twist the throttle when it's cold. Let the choke do it's job
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Thanks, friends. I'll give the cleaning a try.

Quote Originally Posted by larkinman View Post
    .... want to use it there where it's about 8500 feet. I don't know, but could it be it is just very rich and may need to be rejetted. If so, what size jet should I start at?
    I would recommend a 122 main jet for anywhere from 7,000 to 9,000. 118 for above 10,000. Last summer I took my 2018 with the 122 in it up to 12,500 feet but it sure didn't have much power....I stayed mostly in first up there on the steeper stuff.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The guy I bought my 2003 from told me not to use the choke when starting the engine when it’s cold, or to twist the throttle. He started it and then pulled out the choke knob, and ran it like that until it warmed up. I’m at sea level and I’m now thinking it may need a new rubber plug that restricts what the choke can draw - as described by RaZwd1 above.

I am unfamiliar with the stated rubber stopper. Part number? Could it be: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...5-00-00/-plug?
    Perhaps I should go open my spare OEM carb and take a peek since my 2003 has never responded well to use of the enriching circuit knob.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links