Jetting recommendations for a DG slip on. Located in Central NY
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By RaZed1

Thread: Jetting recommendations for a DG slip on. Located in Central NY

Junior Member mikethesloan@gmail.com's Avatar

Jetting recommendations for a DG slip on. Located in Central NY

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums. I picked up an '03 TDub last summer. It's got 3000 miles on it and it runs like a top. I would like to get a DG2 slip on. The installation of the actual pipe is pretty simple from what I've seen. My main issue is choosing the correct jetting. From what I've read, this little guy is pretty lean from the factory, so I'm thinking a slip on pipe may affect it? The thing is I know nothing about how to calculate which jet I should pop in the carb. And that's assuming you just put jets in like any other carb. I had a scooter I did this to before, and it was a struggle. I live in central NY and most of the riding I will be doing will be in the 250' to 5000' elevations. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything. Feel free to send a link if you feel the need!

Thanks and safe riding!

6 Sigma Jet Kit - https://www.6sigmajetkit.com/yamaha-tw-200-trail-way-jet-kit.html

They take your bike and elevation info and select correct jetting for you (many options go to link above)

I have their kit and DG Slipon... Good stuff
    Last edited by elBuro; 01-10-2019 at 11:34 PM.

I got these from the bottom of the page.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...ggestions.html

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...entral-ny.html

Scroll down and look jetting tabs.

C12FEC77-3E5C-4453-B762-E954A43311A2.png

Also see my signature line for what I used.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 01-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago I bought a 6 Sigma jet kit. Their website has sure improved. I don't know about their kits. The one they sent me had high speed jets completely different than the stock jet -- installed with a screwdriver instead of a wrench. The pilot jet they sent was much shorter than the stock jet. The needle was shorter and fatter. The fact that they included a drill and a wood screw to access the idle mixture screw was nice and probably worth about 50 cents. The washers to raise the needle probably worth about 2 cents.

I installed all their parts per their instructions and figuring even though the parts were different when used together they would work well. I was wrong. My TW ran like crap. I called them and they were very nice and sent me different part and overall tried to be very helpful so an A+ for customer service but I ended up giving up and moved on.

I don't know about the kits they sell today. Maybe I got the wrong kit or a kit with wrong parts but given my experience I wouldn't buy another.

I have tried other kits with similar results. Sticking with stock parts or the jets I bought from AliEpress have served me the best.

The thing that made the biggest difference on my TW was adjusting the idle mixture screw out to between 2 and 3 turns. Absolutely the best thing I could do at that time. Later on I experimented with high speed jets and pilot jets I bought from Aliexpress -- shipped from China -- and I could "fine tune" the carb. At least that is what I like to tell myself.

The TW I did this to was an '87 with the early carb. and completely stock at the time. Good luck. Tony

Pics of the kit:
    P4190957.JPGP4190958.JPG
    JerseyJeeper and Darth like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

The stock pilot jet is fine, just turn out the fuel screw to about 2.5 turns.

For a main, I'd go with a 128 or 130. Teikei main jets are interchangeable with Keihin, but NOT mikuni or dynojet. You can also get OEM jets in various sizes from yamaha, albeit at inflated prices.

I also find the stock needle is just fine with a small shim under it. Honestly, it was fine without the shim, but I did notice a slight bit of "hunting" or surging if the throttle was held steady at higher RPM, but light throttle (running lean). The shim corrected that. I have a FMF slip on but I doubt that makes any difference, and also have a couple holes punched in the airbox lid. I cover them up with tape for messy off-roading and I do notice it seems a touch fat/fluffy at times but it's still entirely driveable. If you leave the airbox alone can probably skip shimming the needle.
    elime likes this.

Sponosred Links