What glue is the strongest???
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What glue is the strongest???

What glue is the strongest???

Worth watching.

GaryL
    Xracer, Miaugi, Gulfrider and 4 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Very Good! Thank You Gary for posting this.

There is another glue he did not test but also worth having around. PC-7 comes in 2 35MM film canisters and is very similar to JB Weld. I have had fabulous results with it and used it on a part over 20 years ago and it is still strong as can be today.

GaryL
    Miaugi likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Impressive.

The only thing I could add is when watching the "wood" presentation the Gorilla Glue didn't look like it was applied very well, evenly or hardly at all. Wood is supposedly that glue companies forte. Now of course they have (almost all of them) specific applications for specific materials. I was in my local True Value Hardware store the other day and saw 6-8 different type of Gorilla with an equal amount of eye-catching packaging and applicators. And of course "The Original" that works on everything-type used in the video.

Better or is it just another ploy in the endless marketing & advertising business selling you "what you need"?
    Suppose the same at whatever else in life you are sold or told you need, HaHa.

Been a JB Weld guy for a long time. But I rarely use it on wood. Might rethink that. Mixing the glue and catalyst does create some waste because you never want to mix less than you need so you invariably make a little more more. Timed application.

Some other "Glue Experts", RIP Penny Marshall:

Last edited by stagewex; 01-15-2019 at 06:38 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

With any glue we use the proper preparation of the surfaces to be glued is most important. He did a lousy job in a few instances in the video. Gluing the boards end to end I would have used a finger joint and Titebond 2 and would bet the boards would break somewhere other than the glue joint. I tried the Flex glue spray on my rain gutters where they were joined together end to end with a seam and it was a complete waste of time and money. Plastics are extremely hard to glue simply because there are so many different varieties of plastic and we rarely ever know what type we are gluing. I had a 5 gallon bucket I tried the Flex Tape on and it did repair the crack OK but after I filled it with water it took about 2 days for the tape to fail.

GaryL
    Gulfrider likes this.

That PL polyurethane is good stuff, have used it for years. 3m 5200 is another great sealant. Made for marine it works great for gutter seams, and thru hull water tight.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    With any glue we use the proper preparation of the surfaces to be glued is most important. He did a lousy job in a few instances in the video. Gluing the boards end to end I would have used a finger joint and Titebond 2 and would bet the boards would break somewhere other than the glue joint. I tried the Flex glue spray on my rain gutters where they were joined together end to end with a seam and it was a complete waste of time and money. Plastics are extremely hard to glue simply because there are so many different varieties of plastic and we rarely ever know what type we are gluing. I had a 5 gallon bucket I tried the Flex Tape on and it did repair the crack OK but after I filled it with water it took about 2 days for the tape to fail.

GaryL
    Or ends together with at least dowel rods, splines or biscuits.
    Darth likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

I have a box of the "double bubble" epoxy packets, kind of like ketchup packets. Both resin and hardener in separate packets, but attached to each other. You fold them over, cut off a corner, and squeeze out what you need (often all of it, but not always).
    After having used it a bunch of times, I'm comfortable and confident working with it, and I've used it on a lot of different materials. Works very well. But like Gary said, surface prep is key.

As an aside, I helped out a buddy with a gutter cleaning business some years ago. He had a spray can product which was some kind of rubber, and he had it in white and silver colors. We'd use that on ends and corners inside the gutters where the home owner said it was leaking. Had to be shaken really well, and you usually ended up using the whole can (it would clog after that first use). That stuff worked very well. It built up a coating that flowed into and sealed the seams in the gutter seams. Ugly looking, but it was inside the gutter where we sprayed it, and it stayed flexible enough to maintain the seal. Might have been an early version of Flex-Seal.
    2009 TW200
    2000 V-Star Classic
    1986 HD Sportster (sold)
    1975 Yamaha DT125 (sold)

Thanks Gary. I'll be watching his youtube channel for other tests.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider21 View Post
    Thanks Gary. I'll be watching his youtube channel for other tests.
    He did a real good one with Sea Foam I posted here a while back. Worth going to look that one up.

GaryL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links