Stock Exhaust. Is it supposed to be that loud?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Stock Exhaust. Is it supposed to be that loud?

Stock Exhaust. Is it supposed to be that loud?

I'm not the first owner of this bike but the exhaust is stock. Trying to figure out if they are supposed to be this loud or if I have a problem. I don't mind a little noise but prefer as quiet as possible. I even wear ear plugs while riding but the noise level still bothers me. I've changed both gaskets on the exhaust but am still wondering if there might be a leak. I'm considering the home made second muffler add on. I've tried and failed to remove the screw holding the muffler end cap on - drill bit broken off inside bolt, may attempt again so i can try exhaust packing. I downloaded a free decibel reading app and according to what is stamped on the muffler it is correct. (Somewhere in the 80s i think)

Any suggestions or advice? My header pipe could use a new paint job so i may be taking it apart soon anyway.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Here are some possibly helpful threads from the past:

Muffler repack?.

Quiet muffler options?..

A common solution here that works a bit is a 3/4 copper elbow affixed to your exhaust outlet, either 45 or 90 degrees directing exhaust downwards. I tried a 1" 45 elbow once that helped at a distance but in my opinion seemed louder to me while in the saddle.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Watch some of the videos on YouTube with good sound quality. There are even some videos with before and after comparisons. Should be fairly obvious if yours is not stock. I would prefer them a bit quieter, but when you hear the DGs and FMFs the stockers don’t seem that bad. I like my neighbors a lot or I would have already experimented with aftermarket.
    PlacerLode and jtomelliott49 like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like my best bet is to try and take the muffler apart and repack it. I've read quite a few of the quieter exhaust threads while trying to solve this but i will keep looking. I will begin shopping for packing material and maybe a new gasket again for the muffler/header connection.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Some guys open the muffler and remove the baffle and spark arrestor from it. If this is the issue you might need to buy a good used muffler. You might also try to find another local TW that is stock and listen to compare the sound to yours.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Some guys open the muffler and remove the baffle and spark arrestor from it. If this is the issue you might need to buy a good used muffler. You might also try to find another local TW that is stock and listen to compare the sound to yours.

GaryL
    This is what i first thought had happened so I pushed a wire into the muffler and could feel the spark arrestor still attached. I don't think it has been tampered with but will still try and take it off to find out. There are not very many tw200s in Ireland although there are a few available for sale on line as of lately. I think the only ones here were imported by individuals. I see Tw125s every once in a while but not very often. Shipping to Ireland is also pretty expensive which makes buying large items on Ebay kinda pointless. Even shipping from UK or mainland Europe is a rip off sometimes.

If you take a look at this thread (from another forum): Z1's super duper stock exhaust mod...illustrated | Upgrade Projects | XT225+250 Rider's Group , you'll see how some people have modified their stock mufflers.

If you pull the end cap off, the spark arrestor will come out with it. Then look in to the back of the muffler with a flashlight, and you'll be able to see if the baffle has been drilled out, or has holes punched in it.

If this mod has been done, there is no way to repair it... but there are a few things you can do to mitigate the annoying droning noise it makes.

Someone had already punched holes in my baffle, so I drilled it the rest of the way out, just to see if it made any difference. It did not.

However, I got some fiberglass muffler packing, and wrapped it around the spark arrestor, and that calmed the noise down quite a bit!

My muffler also had the tail-pipe stub cut off, so I welded a new one on, a bit longer and curved downward behind the rider, and that helped even more.

It's still louder than stock, but much less irritating to the rider.

Even if your baffle has not been drilled, I think you'll notice a nice improvement if you wrap the spark arrestor, and extend/angle the tailpipe downward.

Good luck!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 01-16-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Fred, Tweaker, PlacerLode and 1 others like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

See: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...muffler-4.html
    Post #39

And: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...t-muffler.html

When I did the 2018, I used three 1/4 inch wide strips of masking tape to compress the fiberglass instead of wire....the theory being it would burn up after a while and the fiberglass would expand a little. Since I haven't yet replaced the fiberglass I don't know for sure that worked, but I do know for sure if you use too much or too wide tape the effect is not as good. In Ireland I would not worry much about being too rich, but it could happen.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The muffler endcaps are notoriously hard to remove. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m 0 for 3 on my bikes.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    The muffler endcaps are notoriously hard to remove. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m 0 for 3 on my bikes.
    Send the muffler to Admiral, he has just the right hammer for the job!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links