Engine loses compression when warm
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I took my 2013 TW200 in for it's first service yesterday. Bike ran perfect for the first 500 miles. Brought it home and decided I was going to do some riding today. Warmed it up. Drove 5 miles to the gas station and filled up. About 3 miles after fill up, I start hearing a screeching sound ( almost like a worn belt on a car) coming from the lower part of the engine. Just a couple of short screeches at first, then a bit more prolonged. I start to down shift and pull over and lose all compression and the engine goes dead. Get to the side of the road and after sitting for about 2 minutes...it cranks right back up. It idles all day no problem. Take off and then the short screeching starts again. And so forth and so on for another 2 miles of running then dead. I called a buddy and we got it home on the trailer (it's still runs and I dont want to chance limping it home and locking anything up). Get it on the stand in the garage and crank the bike and switch through all the gears shifting up and down and cant recreate the problem on the stand.

So that is a brief synopsis of what is going on when the engine gets warmed up good. My first question is has anyone else had or heard of something like this? The bike was running great when I took it for service and the only thing they did was adjust the valves and replace the break in oil and oil filter. What in the lower part of the bike would possible make a screeching sound? I will be calling the dealership that did the service tomorrow. I thought I'd pose the problem here in case someone may have had a similar issue and there is an easy fix.

Thanks,

Lance
    2013 TW200

2003 TW200 (Wife's Bike)

2013 Ultra Classic Limited

2008 Street Glide

Get it back to the dealer, they may have screwed something up during the service.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Screeching is usually a sign that the wrong oil filter got put in it and now the engine is on it's way to the grave. Folks usually get 25ish miles before the motor is toast.

In 2007 / 2008 Yamaha mispackaged some of it's filters, so if you install one of the bad juju filters you will seize your top end.

After every oil change, checking the oil bleed screw on top of the cylinder is a must.

The cam does not ride in a bearing as such. It runs in a smooth bore in the head that requires a constant flow of oil.

Once you hear the screech, that's it. The cam and bearing surface are damaged. Even with proper oil flow at this point, the damage will get progressively worse.

Take it back to the shop!

Stories from other members below

"I just changed the oil filter in the bike and after 15 miles it started making a very loud screeching noise from the top end. When idled down it died. The engine would still run after being restarted but soon made the same noise. The bike was trailered home. Upon inspecting the oil filter I found a good amount of non-magnetic (I suppose aluminum) debris in the filter and filter compartment. In looking at the filter it does not have the four small holes on the engine side. I changed the oil and put the stock filter back in and the bike runs but I am still finding debris in the filter. By the way it was a K&N #143 oil filter. I might mention I also have a TT225 which I also replaced the filter in with the same brand. The filter in the TT225 has the four small holes in it and after about 300 miles it works fine. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"3 weeks ago i purchased my first tw from local yamaha dealer, i had been looking at it for some time. paid 2800 has 1100 miles on it. loaded it up took it home and took it for a spin. 5 miles into my ride it began squealing and would stall if i weren't giving gas. took it back next day to dealer mechanic fired it up then cut it off immediately. said the valve adjusting screw was loose. they have had my bike now for 3 weeks. they ordered camshaft, cylinder head gasket and rocker arm. they should have had my bike back to me by now. what went wrong with this bike? under warranty till 2011. just venting

wrong filter!! this forum saved my bike from being burned up again. they would not have checked the filter had i not told them. they checked the filters on all the yamaha bikes in the shop today. shop manager was very grateful.he told me they rebuilt a tw 2 or 3 times for this guy a few months ago, finally they told him he was just to big for the bike, they never looked at the filter. yamaha should alert these guys, whats the deal? i wonder if my engine was starved of any oil? "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Today I was running at an enduro, one that I'd practice weeks early with no mayor problems, and after a couple of marks my machine started to feel strange.Some minor metallic noise, like dry valves or something. I stopped after a long steep hill to check it out fearing of some oil leak or something. I checked the oil level and it was good, there was movement in the oil window when I started again, but when I checked the pressure at the top of the cilinder there was no oil pouring out when I took of the little pressure bolt, althought i felt air coming out.I think the oil pump is working because of the movement of oil on the window and the air coming out of the bolt, but no oil was coming up.

I already found the reason and it was the oil filter.I've read your post before so I went for that today.I knew about the screw on the head and that's why i didn't try to start it no more.Apparently a misplace oil filter in a tw filter box, like you said before on the thread you started.The filter was like a sponge when I took it out and was not letting the oil flow as it should be.Thanks to this forum and all of the experience of you my fellow riders I could get to the root of the problem with no mayor consequences.My machine is out again and roaring, and waiting to the next enduro to come.Keep the good experiences flowing and the uphill hard ridding!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If they screwed that up there could be untold damage that could come back and bite you later. They can put in the new correct filter but it may have already taken years off of your engine's life. If that is the case I would demand either a replacement bike or an extended 5 year warranty on the engine. Don't know if you could get it but by gosh I would try.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

rbm
    Have the dealer confirm THEIR mistake and demand a new TW or a replacement engine.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Have the dealer confirm THEIR mistake and demand a new TW or a replacement engine.

INSIST on being present when they pull the filter and print the picture above and take it with you!

Provided that it is the wrong filter, you should absolutely demand as above.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    INSIST on being present when they pull the filter and print the picture above and take it with you!

Provided that it is the wrong filter, you should absolutely demand as above.
    Take a witness or video tape it! Or go to another Yamaha dealer. Better safe than sorry.

THEY did "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AD" That 15 year old ex-stock boy F&^%$#&cked it up some how............. I wish you the best.. Trust me these dubs go for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooong time.... OMM.

P.S. Please give us an update on how this turns out. Your not the first to have this happen but it seems we never hear the outcome.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

I am not saying you should only focus on the wrong filter as your problem because it could be something else.

However, when you look at the filter here is another version of the right/wrong filter for comparison. (Credit for this photo goes to R80rt who posted it in a recent thread.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links