need help with '87 carb!
Close

just ngot my tw yesterday, and am super stoked to finally have one!! been wanting one for along while. my problem is is,,,havent got it started or anything yet because i wanted to empty out old fuel and put new in. well i have done that. when i turn the fuel cut-off (petcock?) to the on position i get a steady stream of fuel coming out of the bottom of the carb. it is not comig out from the drain where the screw is in the side of the nipple. i have no idea if its a return or what...doest have a line connected to it or anything. havent been able to find any pics of this area on a bike so i can see if it should have a line going somewhere. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds to me like your float is stuck and the bowl is over flowing. I would take a look into the technical help section of the website. There is a really great walk through on there about taking apart and cleaning the carb. Cleaning the carb is something I would probably recommend on an older bike even if you weren't leaking.
    -Szj

2001 TW

10-4. i thought a carb cleaning would do the trick, just wasnt completely sure. i believe i am going to attempt it today...hopefuly it goes well, haha

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

well i got the carb out and it was crazy gunked up, the floats were sticking as well. so did a thourough cleaning and cleared out the jets. i got it back together that day and got it running, not running very well but running none the less. then today i took it out to a buddy's farm and tuned on the carb and got it running great. starting on first hit or kick. the bike only has 1600 miles on it, is that low?

Heck yeah that's low

Nice and low. Sweet deal. I've got a red 87 that runs very well too. No guarantee the odo is correct, but shows about 2,000 miles now and runs strong.

Been told the average rider covers 3,000 - 5,000 per year. I know folks, including me and probably several others on this site, that shoot for 10,000 per year as a good goal and a good round number. Takes some nice mileage road trips for me to get that. But then there are plenty of garage trophies out there too that get ridden very little, or maybe just around the neighborhood. 3,000 miles takes a long time to cover if you only go down to the corner store and back.
    1987 TW200

2000 Yamaha XT350

2005 Yamaha Majesty

2009 Honda Ruckus

Sponosred Links