My Little Dubby is Sick.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My Little Dubby is Sick.

My Little Dubby is Sick.

Thought I'd left the key on. Absolutely no response from the electrics. Battery last fall was showing a no start a couple of times so I figured a 4 yr old Yuasa. Time for a new one. Bought it before I left. fully charged and transported down to the desert before I installed. Worked fine. A couple hundred miles of riding and now this this morn. Measured 7 volts. Was able to get it going with one of those Booster gizmo and the output at any revs seemed to be 9 to 10.5 volts. Took it for a few mile ride and the battery remains at 7 and no lights, no start. EJ Franz suggested I use my Solar to charge it but unfortunately ran out of sun. So the plan is at sunrise to hook it back up and try to get the battery back up to 13. whatever. If it holds I will know it's not and probably never was the battery. I am assuming I should show a good 14 volts when running. So is this just indicating the stator or is there a controller of some such that may be the cause? There is a Yammy dealer in Parker up the road from Quartzite. So Parker bound I will be.

Check the fuse. AC output goes from the stator to the rectifier/regulator then from the RR to the main fuse then to the battery.

Ok if its not the fuse remove your seat and unplug the rectifier/regulator. You should have continuity between all the white stator wires (not sure exactly what the resistance is but they should all be close to each other) and no continuity to ground on the white wires. You can go one step farther to check the stator by firing up the bike and checking for AC voltage also between all the white wires (I think ~ 50 volts AC). If your bike passed that test plug the RR back in fire it up and check for 14 volts DC coming out of the red wire. If no replace the RR. If yes check wiriing to fuse then to battery. hope this helps.
    Last edited by Peterb; 01-31-2019 at 08:51 PM.

New batteries can quickly fail despite having been treated properly from day one. Batteries are more expensive than a fuse but cheaper than a stators, coils and rectifiers. Good Luck with your little Dubby.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Go through any of Sportsterdocs charging system posts. He tells how to test everything. Every time I have a nostart I just go through the testing process. When I had a no-charge on my 96 this part was bad and fixed my problem. https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-AY...w200+regulator

On my 01 it was this part. https://www.amazon.com/GOOFIT-Voltag...w200+regulator

I expect these knockoffs will fail at a higher rate but they have worked well for me so far. You can get the Yamaha parts for about $115 from the dealer or $80 from Partzilla depending on the model year of your bike.

There are lots of other members here that are great electrical advisers, but I go to Sportsterdocs posts because there are a lot of testing steps that I always forget and he lays it out well.

Good luck keep us posted. Cheers
    Willys714 and admiral like this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

All of this is a huge help. Did check both 20A fuses on the side and both good. Letting it sit overnight the battery has come back up on its own to 10. something volts. Sun is up and Solar is poring juice into it. I tend to think the battery is good and was dragged down by the alt. or reg only feeding it 9 or 10 volts. Do have a meter but am not real good with checking resistances and such. Being on the road, Amazon won't work for me. Will be calling the Parker Yammy dealer when they open and hope they can get me what I need in a fair amount of time. Hu

Huge off road race out of Parker this weekend. Hope I don't miss it with no tdub.

Just did the continuity test and all white are the same

I may have cried Wolf. With battery up to 12.8 it runs fine and shows 13.6 at a rev. Battery let sit for half hr shows drop to 12.3 That Halogen being on all the time may have something to do with it especially with all the desert putting around. And it may not be a perfect battery yet. But I'm back in bizz and will be watching it.
    Mel, Sthrnromr, Fred and 3 others like this.

Yes, this is quite likely. Since I putt around a lot as well, I had to pull the connector to the low beam to prevent the low charge rate from the stator at around 2,500 RPM from depleting the battery. I don't ride streets at night, so not a problem. I just use the hi beam whenever I need it, adjusted a bit downward.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 02-03-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

put a switch on the low beam, so you can turn it on and off at will

a battery that drops to 12.3 after sitting for 1/2 hour, is not a happy battery
    Badgerflorida and Peterb like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links